REW01

Reference Literature for Pollen/Spore/Palynomorph Identification

REW01

I have some pollen grains, spores(?), and other non-pollen palynomorphs as well, which I would like to identify that I photographed from a number of slides. However, I have no eye for these things yet (if only my university offered palynology courses!) so I am in need of references to start reading and hopefully use to identify some stuff now and in the future. I know that it's a pretty specialized area, but any input could be helpful as references accessible to people who don't yet know how to identify these things seem to be few and far between.

I have access to Paleopalynology by Alfred Traverse (2007) through my university.

I was given Fossil Fungi by Thomas N. Taylor, Michael Krings, and Edith Taylor (2014) as a gift from a family member. It's a lovely book, and excellent reference for fungi.

I have found little on pollen and other terrestrial microfossils aside from Traverse and Taylor that seems useful. Marine micro/nanofossils get a lot more attention, apparently. While I am a student with a good working knowledge, I still need stuff that's clear and not too technical, as I am mostly learning this on my own. 

Anyone have suggestions for other material I could make use of (both modern pollen/palynomorphs and fossils)? 

doushantuo

you need at least Punt & Hoen's Glossary of Pollen & spore terminology(which i have) and is useful as all heck.*

*personal opinion,no recommendation for the publishers products per se,no competing interests,etc

Send me a PM ,if needs be

stierdorgggtmund-a753ss-02ffcb937483-2060x1645.jpg

Grana(Taylor & Francis) offers a lot of free access articles,up to about 2013

(E.G.):

Grana, 2009; 48: 151–159 Beschorneria yuccoides and Asimina triloba (L.) Dun: Examples for proximal polar germinating pollen in angiosperms
MICHAEL HESSE, HEIDEMARIE HALBRITTER & MARTINA WEBER

Beschorneria yuccoides and Asimina triloba L Dun Examples for proximal polar germinating pollen in angiosperms.pdf

edit:there's also Palynology by the same publisher,which is slightly more "dinocysty",if you get my drift,but you must be familiar with that journal,surely

Kosmoceras

See if you can get hold of this:

Tyson, R.V., 1995. Sedimentary organic matter: organic facies and palynofacies. Chapman & Hall, London.

If you can't find a copy, PM me. 

REW01

I am aware of Grana, but it hadn't occurred to me that it may be a good resource. Duh. I also was going to check out Palynology from the AASP. It looks like I can access Punt and Hoen's glossary no problem. Thanks for the pointers!

5 hours ago, Kosmoceras said:

See if you can get hold of this:

Tyson, R.V., 1995. Sedimentary organic matter: organic facies and palynofacies. Chapman & Hall, London.

If you can't find a copy, PM me. 

It seems I'm in luck for this book, as apparently my school's geology library has a copy. Otherwise, it's really expensive to purchase. I suspect it must be out of print if it's that pricey. 

doushantuo

LINK1

Link2

Pieter van Gijzel:Autofluorescence of fossil pollen and Spores with special reference to age determination and coalification

Leidse Geologische Mededelingen 40/1967

doushantuo

You might also want to take a peek at:

Facies (2006) 52: 19-39
DOI 10.1007/s10347-005-0028-y

Lucia Roncaglia  Anton Kuijpers
Revision of the palynofacies model of Tyson (1993) based on recent high-latitude sediments from the North Atlantic

Facies2006.pdf