cngodles

Tonight I found a new limestone ledge sitting 6 inches from a stream water level. My father and I started hammering away at the shallow edges and removed a ton of interesting specimens. While there were some nice cephalopods, lots of brachiopods and clams, this piece caught my eye. I’ve read about Bryozoa and I’ve seen similar things on fossil plates. I believe I remember seeing pieces of them in limestone while digging, but never anything big.

So, is it a Fenestella? Or something else? I’ve never found one worth showing. I saw a species list for it and it is very long.

C002549D-6CE5-457C-8747-4823FDDFAC8D.jpeg

A62EDA6F-2CF1-4E3F-8F17-45F2F02BCB3A.jpeg

903FA8ED-A8B8-4542-BEFC-4BAFC4ABE9D8.jpeg

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

Yes. That is a fenestrate bryozoan. Not sure if it's Fenestella though. Species aren't really my thing. :)

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, SMcD said:

Would you tell me how to distinguish a fenestella from a graptolite? They look so similar.

The window shapes in a dendroid graptolite are less regular, and the body of the fossil is not made up of calcite the way bryozoans are but rather chitin which preserves differently.

I agree fenestellid. Without seeing the pores on the obverse (which are hidden nine times out of ten as it's the stickier side) you can't be absolutely sure of the genus so "probably Fenestella" is a safe ID.

Tarquin