North Yorkshire Jurrasic Coast possible vertebra? (UK)

Chris Kimo

I have recently been exploring what is know as the Jurassic coast portion of North Yorshire UK. After finding ammonites in abundance I stumbled upon what appeared to be a vertabrae looking piece of rock. Parts that are exposed like the ends of the rock appear slightly porus like fossilized marrow. Waves often erode the sides of the cliffs exposing new fossils in this area. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify if this is actually a fossil and if so what sort of prehistoric beast it could have come from and if it is not thanks for your advice and hopefully better luck next time! 20190527_125321.thumb.jpg.3051d82bfee7bcff36119e2ecaab9115.jpg

20190527_125335.jpg

15589582784914559648728767623276.jpg

I'm at a loss, it really looks like a vertebrae with processes and porous parts resembling bone, but It could just be a very unusual ironstone.

If You can take picture from straight on rather than an oblique angle it may help to determine what it is.

Think cube- 1 picture for each side and the ends.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks guys! I'll follow Ynot's advice and post some other photos of the angles suggested. 

Please excuse my hand just wanted it in a better light. May or may not be a fossil but your helps been greatly appreciated!

20190527_215600.jpg

20190527_215614.jpg

20190527_215624.jpg

Very tricky, I would agree with bone, but the patterns reminds me of something like flint, maybe covered with iron compounds?
Geological in my thinking, whatever it might be. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Like Abyssunder, I think that there's bone at the core, esp in light of photos #2 & 4, but ironstone has formed a concretion around it.  

Very interesting piece!

You should  track down a good prepper.  I believe it would be worth your while. :)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks for your opinions and input guys! I think I'll get it checked out further in that case. Probably get it prepped in an attempt to reveal some more possible bone structure.

Thought I'd share some Ammonites that I found around the coast of that mystery discovery. Some were found in geode nodules others were just exposed.IMG-20190527-WA0023.thumb.jpeg.6691099cece134867287154cf3212ab9.jpegIMG-20190527-WA0021.thumb.jpeg.d361ca7f045bb75cccc10ba431289da6.jpeg

On 5/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, Chris Kimo said:

. Some were found in geode nodules others were just exposed.

Those are not geodes, They do not have a crystal lined hollow center.

They are nodules or concretions.

Nice ammonites.

I appreciate the correction! I'm a novice so any knowledge given is appreciated. what classifies a geode? 

13 minutes ago, Chris Kimo said:

what classifies a geode? 

They have a shell,  a crystal lined hollow center and can be separated from the matrix they formed in.