Fossil Storage Drawers

Welsh Wizard

50 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Nice more space for more fossils. Are you sure it’s 12 cm not 12 mm :)

yup. Each drawer is about 12 cm deep.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:26 AM, Welsh Wizard said:

I’ve acquired some more drawers for storing my fossils.

There are from an old Welsh farmhouse. The dimensions are 85 cm tall by 50 cm wide by 62 cm. Drawers are circa 12 cm deep.

Just got to fill them now.

B3119C6C-54CE-4C46-8248-872F414A0EC6.thumb.jpeg.1692c1b4224674f21bd5de06273d72d8.jpeg

Those are BEAUTIFUL!!

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

You've got some amazing fossils. They are self found?

Thanks. A mixture. Some are, some aren’t.

Display and storage area coming along

BB27A82F-DD04-4D8D-9C02-5D5BC67FA57A.thumb.jpeg.65c44f8fb7007b7b7fd8bbb81838c989.jpeg

More stuff to put in drawers and some more pics for the wall.

• I found this Informative 2

• 8 months later...

Finally got around to starting the new drawers.

Probable iguanodon vert and associated spine. Lower Cretaceous, Isle of Wight, Yaverland.

D67666C7-1B2C-4C89-8C2D-808607321313.thumb.jpeg.f8a32a6d8c821533b263ed47ea62942c.jpeg

2BF583ED-2F70-4AE7-B4A1-55FD666E4054.thumb.jpeg.9c3d45d7836bffb41e0e92263402d714.jpeg

No idea why the photos keep altering their orientation. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Finally got around to starting the new drawers.

Probable iguanodon vert and associated spine. Lower Cretaceous, Isle of Wight, Yaverland.

D67666C7-1B2C-4C89-8C2D-808607321313.thumb.jpeg.f8a32a6d8c821533b263ed47ea62942c.jpeg

Beautiful specimen, especially for IoW! :o

1 hour ago, Welsh Wizard said:

No idea why the photos keep altering their orientation. 

That'd be the EXIF-data recorded with your JPeG-image. This data normally records such things as the camera settings using which the photograph was made, can include location data and may contain information on image rotation. In order to fix your issues with image rotation, the easiest way to do this would be to clear the EXIF-data, which can be done using various image editing tools, such as Lit Photo (for Android, but may also be available for iOS) or Irfan View (Windows).

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The three sets of drawers blend well together and the same height. I like the idea of inserting in foam to hold the specimens. 

The foam protects from movement when opening and closing drawers. :thumbsu:

I have seen a similar idea used for museum materials but to tidy up and hide foam they cut a slit 10mm or so away from the fossil as per diagram attached.

Unsure of exact material used but looked like the material used for disposable overalls used in the building industry or hospitals. ( usually white or blue)

Here is an example from a museum with felt on the outer and the other material as mentioned above used to cradle the actual fossil

cover for foam.jpg

Kronosarus Korner 490.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

The three sets of drawers blend well together and the same height. I like the idea of inserting in foam to hold the specimens. 

The foam protects from movement when opening and closing drawers. :thumbsu:

I have seen a similar idea used for museum materials but to tidy up and hide foam they cut a slit 10mm or so away from the fossil as per diagram attached.

Unsure of exact material used but looked like the material used for disposable overalls used in the building industry or hospitals. ( usually white or blue)

Here is an example from a museum with felt on the outer and the other material as mentioned above used to cradle the actual fossil

cover for foam.jpg

Kronosarus Korner 490.JPG

Thanks Mike

I’ll give that a go when I’m doing the others. I’ve got to make some wooden inserts first as the foam pieces are slightly too small and the bigger ones had too much wastage after cutting.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a bit of work on the drawers. If anyone’s wondering, the labels are under the fossils.

52D8F88C-4A62-4F43-97F3-1B58C839EC2B.thumb.jpeg.acd7e99e257d0eb3741d238960d9e31e.jpeg

Kimmeridge to the left. Wealden to the right.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

A bit more work on one of the drawers. All U.K. dinosaur material. Two iguanodon verts, two theropod and one sauropod.

63B9E509-2E38-415E-96CA-E148D16A979E.thumb.jpeg.7bb3da5ebd298a9ef72b60cd3aad0c00.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

A bit busy this one but a work in progress. Pachystropheus limb bones and vertebrae’s from late Triassic of the U.K.

46EF5F5A-6023-489F-9A59-82441C842664.thumb.jpeg.4dd54b94faf31d4a52b210b361ef7239.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

This British dinosaur specimens are quite exceptional! Astounding collection! :default_clap2:

Have you seen this, @FF7_Yuffie?

• Thank You 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

This British dinosaur specimens are quite exceptional! Astounding collection! :default_clap2:

Have you seen this, @FF7_Yuffie?

Thanks

still lots to do. I’ll post more photos as I progress.

Nick

Some U.K. Triassic stuff. I’ve managed to sort through some boxes and freed up space. I need to cut quite a few pieces down to a manageable size before they can go in the drawers. I’ve been waiting for the rain to stop to do them but there doesn’t seem to be any let up at the moment.

32ED9A95-C8E4-466B-A9B4-4B3DF2721A9B.thumb.jpeg.37b8d48c267ff9d07bfb270322cbe41e.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Wow! I like those pics! Those look like a perfect depth. I use small cabinets for my small collection. I need to step up the display effort!

IMG_20211003_213612.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

19 hours ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Some U.K. Triassic stuff. I’ve managed to sort through some boxes and freed up space. I need to cut quite a few pieces down to a manageable size before they can go in the drawers. I’ve been waiting for the rain to stop to do them but there doesn’t seem to be any let up at the moment.

32ED9A95-C8E4-466B-A9B4-4B3DF2721A9B.thumb.jpeg.37b8d48c267ff9d07bfb270322cbe41e.jpeg

Those are some beautiful plesiosaur teeth, Nick! Definitely a bit jealous of them ;) Are they all from Aust?

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

8 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Those are some beautiful plesiosaur teeth, Nick! Definitely a bit jealous of them ;) Are they all from Aust?

Hi Alexander.

They certainly are. Interestingly, good quality ones are hard to find but these were all in the same rock. Ive also a few broken and incomplete ones somewhere.

16 hours ago, Welsh Wizard said:

They certainly are. Interestingly, good quality ones are hard to find but these were all in the same rock. Ive also a few broken and incomplete ones somewhere.

Yeah, tell me about it! I've been trying to get even one good one for a while now, and I haven't managed yet (much like you, I've got some halfway decent ones, but nothing like yours) ;)

So finding multiple in one block sounds extremely rare! Did you find them yourself?

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Yeah, tell me about it! I've been trying to get even one good one for a while now, and I haven't managed yet (much like you, I've got some halfway decent ones, but nothing like yours) ;)

So finding multiple in one block sounds extremely rare! Did you find them yourself?

I did find them myself.

8 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

I did find them myself.

That must have felt like an incredibly lucky day then! :D Still hope to make a find like that some day ;)

• 1 month later...