Peace river-I’m thinkin’ horsie?

joshuajbelanger

Found this two days ago in the peace river.  I’m thinking horse, but I’m about to move and my fossil id books are packed up(cardinal sin, I know.)  Lemme know what you guys think.  Thanks in advance.

-J

A2EC38F8-BEDD-4A06-A0CD-D7E3B0D620AB.jpeg

0D382D23-1154-4CDA-AD44-B3159AA76665.jpeg

Josh, where did you say you were moving to?  They'd better have some good Cajun food wherever it is. ;)

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Josh, where did you say you were moving to?  They'd better have some good Cajun food whereever it is. ;)

Ft. Collins, Colorado.  And that’s like what @Bone Daddy keeps saying.  There is a group of people in Colorado that are about to experience legit Cajun cooking, and they have no idea.  Lol

After the move, Josh's posts in this ID forum will be for dinosaur bones and teeth.  :)

And yeah, there are some Colorado folks who are going to be spoiled for real seafood and they don't know it yet.

40 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Sorry.  I don't know what it is . . . looks pathological on the anterior side, but again, I'm not certain.

Hi Harry,

Going with pathological, could that be a tarsometatarsus of a very large bird?

Jess

2 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

Any chance this could be human?

I do see that the top aspect looks similar to a human distal humerus, and the other photo is similar to the occipital...but the morphology appears inconsistent, and too thick to be human.

• I found this Informative 1

So, we are in a pickle.  No legit stabs at this one eh?  These are my favorite kinds of fossils :)

14 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Harry,

Going with pathological, could that be a tarsometatarsus of a very large bird?

Jess

I don't think it's a bird, Jess.  If we agree this is a distal humerus, then birds have distinctive trochlea.

The overall shape of the trochlea reminds me of mustelid, but the size is off for a mustelid.  My second thought was Casteroides, the giant beaver.  I don't think it's Holmesina, the giant armadillo.

Question for Joshua:  Is there any indication of an entepicondylar foramen on the broken edge of the bone?  Look for a smooth

(cortex) patch within the broken surface.  Such a foramen would narrow the guesswork substantially.     

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

11 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I don't think it's a bird, Jess.  If we agree this is a distal humerus, then birds have distinctive trochlea.

The overall shape of the trochlea reminds me of mustelid, but the size is off for a mustelid.  My second thought was Casteroides, the giant beaver.  I don't think it's Holmesina, the giant armadillo.

Question for Joshua:  Is there any indication of an entepicondylar foramen on the broken edge of the bone?  Look for a smooth

(cortex) patch within the broken surface.  Such a foramen would narrow the guesswork substantially.     

There may have been, if there was it was completely broken off.  Now that I’m looking at it, there does appear to be a evidence of a entepicondylar foramen.

4D802493-0D56-486C-9435-D5E3AE50517E.jpeg

I can't see the evidence of an entepicondylar formamen, Joshua; but giant armadillos and mustelids do have an eef, while beavers don't.

This is an unusual find, perhaps because of wear.  Perhaps it's a rare find.  In either case, you should send your images to Richard Hulbert at the Florida State Museum for his opinion.  Let us know what you find out.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Yeah, a friend of mine is running it by him tomorrow.  Hopefully, we can shed some light on this one.