kinnza1

12 hours ago, kinnza1 said:

Interesting.

So what I'm taking from this is:

Based on the teeth themselves provide, they appear to be most consistent with a Tyrannosaurid Indet diagnosis. But the lack of more specifics in locale present a problem in definitively ruling out the possibility of being from Dromaeosaurids.

For just north of 100 bucks for the pair, I can't complain either way. 

We can't really discuss prices & values on the forum, but I would be very happy with that kind of price!

It doesn't really matter what locality your two teeth came from, they are definitely not Dromaeosaurid.

Yours are 100% tyrannosaurid indet. due to the shape of the teeth, combined with the twist in the mesial carina of one of them; the chisel shaped serrations (which are a telltale for Tyrannosaurs) and the amount of serrations per 5mm. :)

Your label for them should definitely read something like:

Species: Tyrannosaurid indet.

Formation: Judith River

Late Cretaceous

2 hours ago, Omnomosaurus said:

We can't really discuss prices & values on the forum, but I would be very happy with that kind of price!

It doesn't really matter what locality your two teeth came from, they are definitely not Dromaeosaurid.

Yours are 100% tyrannosaurid indet. due to the shape of the teeth, combined with the twist in the mesial carina of one of them; the chisel shaped serrations (which are a telltale for Tyrannosaurs) and the amount of serrations per 5mm. :)

Your label for them should definitely read something like:

Species: Tyrannosaurid indet.

Formation: Judith River

Late Cretaceous

Ah, my mistake- must have completely overlooked that, will be more aware moving forward. 

And that is about all the narrowing down I could have needed. Appreciated!

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, kinnza1 said:

Ah, my mistake- must have completely overlooked that, will be more aware moving forward. 

And that is about all the narrowing down I could have needed. Appreciated!

Anytime! :dinothumb:

Don't worry too much about overlooking things...if you're not sure, it's always a safe bet to pop a question up on the forum.

1 hour ago, DevonianDigger said:

There's really nothing wrong with saying how much you paid for something, we just won't estimate values of items or give appraisals.

Ah thanks, guess I thought the rules were stricter.

...Yeah, so around $100 is a great price. It'd usually cost over that to get one tyrannosaur tooth here in the UK!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one more to throw out there, more info to go on, and feeling more certain anyway...

Found in Hell Creek in Garfield County, claimed as Tyrannosaurus rex tooth tip. Just shy of 1 inch long, and based on how robust and round it is for being just a tip, I feel compelled that this couldnt be anything else. Second opinions?

20190612_094659.jpg

20190612_094735.jpg

I am all in for T rex.  It is massive as these things go and that could only be T rex.  I wonder what troodon thinks?

8 minutes ago, kinnza1 said:

I've got one more to throw out there, more info to go on, and feeling more certain anyway...

Found in Hell Creek in Garfield County, claimed as Tyrannosaurus rex tooth tip. Just shy of 1 inch long, and based on how robust and round it is for being just a tip, I feel compelled that this couldnt be anything else. Second opinions?

20190612_094659.jpg

20190612_094735.jpg

Yep, I think you're onto a winner there!

The little glimpse of the serrations look tyrannosaurid (chisel shaped), which means Rex or Nano if it's from Hell Creek.... but something of that robustness pretty much rules out Nanotyrannus.

You might want to do a serration count over 5mm, for extra piece of mind, but you almost certainly have a partial Rex tooth there. Congrats! :D

1 hour ago, Omnomosaurus said:

Yep, I think you're onto a winner there!

The little glimpse of the serrations look tyrannosaurid (chisel shaped), which means Rex or Nano if it's from Hell Creek.... but something of that robustness pretty much rules out Nanotyrannus.

You might want to do a serration count over 5mm, for extra piece of mind, but you almost certainly have a partial Rex tooth there. Congrats! :D

Did some measurements, roughly 7 denticles per 5mm on both edges. Appear equal and even on both edges (serrations are beefy, a little hard to measure cleanly)

20190612_164446.jpg

20190612_164417.jpg

20190612_164037.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

27 minutes ago, kinnza1 said:

Did some measurements, roughly 7 denticles per 5mm on both edges. Appear equal and even on both edges (serrations are beefy, a little hard to measure cleanly)

20190612_164446.jpg

20190612_164417.jpg

20190612_164037.jpg

Thanks for doing that...

Confirms it. You do indeed have a partial Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth! :dinothumb:

Yep agree with that size tip it can only be Trex nothing else in the HC has a set of chompers like that.