Originally from the Midwest, I've been hunting for fossils for about 50 years and found about two "fossilized sea shells". And this was not from a lack of trying! I moved to Summerville, SC about three years ago for a job that included lots of travel. Now that travel is finished and meeting new friends in the area, I have connected with some kids that stumbled onto something that I think is big!

Had I grown up in Summerville, I probably would have change my career to paleontology instead of Electrical Engineering. I am amazed at the finds here in my home town. I have taken my wife and kids including their friends to a spot that allows them to find Shark teeth (at a minimum) within 2 minutes of arriving to an area.

My dilemma,  I would like to know what these type of "dermal denticles" are. For every 20 shark teeth I find, I find one of these. Please refer to the attached pics.

Thanks

Matt

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

I think they're some type of Oligocene Scleractinian corals that are very common from either the Ashley or Chandler Bridge formations. I'm no expert, but that is what I think based the many I have found compared to photos and IDs I've seen posted on this site.

G

2 hours ago, old bones said:

These look like solitary corals. 

+1

Similar little guys can be found at the C&D Canal (Cretaceous) in Delaware.  The Delaware Geological Survey has a nifty website on fossils from the canal.  Here is the page that mentions the solitary corals, with photo:

https://www.dgs.udel.edu/delaware-geology/corals-and-jellyfish-phylum-cnidaria

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thank you for the identification on the coral. I am not sure but I think its half of a shark vertebra? I can see the impression of another one in the rock too. I did find about ten of these but this is the only one still in rock. I am new to the fossil stuff and not sure on anything. But, having great fun.

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

Looks like a chondrichthyan vertebra. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!