Brantford, Ontario Geology??

JUAN EMMANUEL

Hey guys,

So I discovered there is actually GO transit service from Hamilton, Ontario to Brantford, Ontario and Im actually excited to discover this (HOORAY!!). 

Does anyone know the geology of the city? Im also looking for papers/files that can help me know what to find there. 

Thanks for any help! 

6 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Hey guys,

So I discovered there is actually GO transit service from Hamilton, Ontario to Brantford, Ontario and Im actually excited to discover this (HOORAY!!). 

Does anyone know the geology of the city? Im also looking for papers/files that can help me know what to find there. 

Thanks for any help! 

If I recall, it is Upper Silurian, with some Salina Fm spots that is represented by a thin band that extends up to Goderich where the salts are commercially mined by Sifton. As much of the Telephone City is pretty flat, you might not find any exposures/outcrops. You can try the Grand River, but I don't think it cuts deep enough. 

The units in this band are not generally known to be all that fossiliferous, but the representative formations are Bass Islands, Bertie, Salina, and the Kenogami River contact point with the lower Devonian. Seeing Bertie Fm in the list might make one hopeful of finding eurypterids, but I have never heard of anyone finding any eurypterids in Brantford given that it is dominated by the Salina. 

If you can manage to go a bit more south, Hagersville is lower Devonian Bois Blanc material.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer