All the Echinoids (Of Texas) Part 2

JamieLynn

In the continuing saga of finding all the echinoids of Texas.....I found a few new things plus re-assessing my collection I found I already had another example (albeit small bits only) of another! So here are my latest finds (and re-finds).

In my collection from Marathon Tx was a couple of bits of (I think) an Archeocidarid!! DSCN1786.thumb.JPG.8e0d2a5231f253f5035cffe7f70d44fc.JPG

Stopped by a little creek in Austin and found this lovely Coenholectypus: DSCN1743.thumb.JPG.c72e7ea75cff9a0f34413fb7d407d9d4.JPG

Went on a little road trip to Glen Rose TX and found what I thought was a Loriolia but on closer inspection, it's a Goniopygus! Not a great specimen, but slightly better than my previous ones, so still looking for a nice one:

DSCN1502.thumb.JPG.43768a3ea89c72f209bc1a5c357811d5.JPG

And the piece de resistance : A Balanocidarid Spine!! Practically in my own backyard (well, within 30 minutes drive anyways)

DSCN2061.thumb.JPG.6f7789f47172a7d0bb2aab32fe037725.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Nice additions. 

The Balanocidarid club is a beauty.:) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If by Marathon you mean older Paleozoic rocks, then Archaeacidaris is a decent ID.

And the rest are all quite nice.

I finally joined the Palenotology Society of Austin and went with them on one of their monthly field trips! SO much fun! Great people, lots of fossils, and sunburned neck and backs of knees...so worth it! We were in the Eagle Ford and Walnut formation (is that right, @erose ?) and I managed to find quite a few Tetragrammas which is what I was looking for. AND pyratized echinoids too! I found lots of heart urchins with flecks of pyrite and ONE phymosoma with a bit of spine still on it, too! Anyways, great time with great people. AND echies! 

DSCN1938.JPG

Phymosomas: 

Echinoid Phymosomas (1).JPG

Tetragrammas: 

5cf2a7b043d14_EchinoidTetragramma(3).thumb.JPG.7eb99a32bb936687df723c0fb2afa8d6.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Not Eagle Ford. All Walnut Formation.  Not exactly sure what member but likely the Keys Valley.  And it was a great day with new and old friends. Sunburn? Yep you were pretty darn bright red when you headed out. The fossils were great at both sites. 

• I found this Informative 2

Neat finds :D

I love those Phymosoma!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Looks like things are coming together nice!! I was just in Austin in January and I wish I knew where that creek was!! I found one creek in Austin but it didn’t have anything for some reason. Great job!!

Another post I missed somehow! Beautiful finds. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 6/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, Al Tahan said:

Looks like things are coming together nice!! I was just in Austin in January and I wish I knew where that creek was!! I found one creek in Austin but it didn’t have anything for some reason. Great job!!

If you come back to Austin, give me a shout! I'll take you to a few spots! 

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice specimen. I have a few short ones as well but they are a bit narrower.  Are you also finding the "other" knurled cidarid spines? 

Cidarid spines.jpeg

small Balanocidaris spines.jpeg

I have not found any of the others....not at all!  Do you think mine is a juvenile? It does indeed look different than yours, shapewise, but definitely same "pattern". What is the scale of your grid background?