Any where along Rappahannock river to find teeth?

Northern Neck

Hey guys, is it anywhere along the Rappahannock river anyone knows of to find sharks teeth? I know Westmoreland state park on the Potomac has some. But just curious if the Rappahannock river produces any? If so message me in my inbox please. Saw some videos online of nice makos found in streams but not sure where they found them in Virginia at. Thanks in advance 

All the drainage systems between (and including) the James and Potomac have the possibility of having exposures with shark teeth. There is a lot of literature including site information for Virginia also. I googled your information, with misspellings, and got this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Fossil+sites,+Rapannock+river+virginia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Thanks.  Ive been to all of those but really havenr seen many finding anything on the Rappahannock. York state park has mostly shells. Fossil island is private and by boat only. I farm about 1000 acres along the Rappahannock but mainly only find Indian artifacts which are cool also 

Thanks Gizmo.  They were going to develop the cliffs at one time. Appreciate the help.  I live about  30 mins downriver from there.  Just nothing seems to wash up on my beach.  

People have become protective of their beachfront property, not so much because of the children collecting teeth but because of erosion.  Thirty years ago on the Rappahannock and Piankatank Rivers (closer to the Bay) people obsessed with big teeth were bringing water pumps and blasting the cliffs.  Riprap soon followed on my two favorite collecting sites.  I think it is legal to wade and hunt up to the median low tide level next to private beaches, but check the law.  I have been told by locals and family that any cliffs with layers of shells have shark teeth at the water edge below.  Also there are places without cliffs where some always are found (but not big numbers of teeth). Some beaches' teeth sites seem very localized.  Used to be that shark teeth were everywhere, you could sit in the sand and pick up dozens around you on many beaches.  I've seen people hunting them along the Colonial Parkway on the York River, and people find them beachcombing everywhere.  The older locals know the old spots.  Best after big storms, weekdays, and winter (less people, clearer water).  

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, Northern Neck said:

Thanks Gizmo.  They were going to develop the cliffs at one time. Appreciate the help.  I live about  30 mins downriver from there.  Just nothing seems to wash up on my beach.  

Fossils don't really wash up they wash out. If your banks are low you may not have the kind of exposures that produce fossils. If you have shelly banks then you have teeth. Look in the wash (surf?) in gravel. The blacker the gravel the better. Teeth are also just found loose in shell beds but have not been concentrated by geological processes to appear readily.