Bison Toe Bone?

Lizzlo

Hello! 

I recently came back from a trip to the Netherlands, and while beach combing in the North Sea, I found this bone. I've been really curious as to what it may be, and even joined this site in hopes of discovering what it may have belonged too. I believe it's a phalanx bone, possibly of a bison from the pleistocene? That's really just a guess based off of others' pictures, so please, any info you can give would be wonderful! Sorry I don't have a ruler on hand for proper measurements, but it is roughly 8 cm in length and 3 cm in width. I put the lighter there to maybe give an idea of size 

20190525_132013.jpg

20190525_131915.jpg

20190525_131908.jpg

That is a very nice toe bone and i’m going to say right off, I do not know for sure what it is, but until @Harry Pristis or one of the other guru’s answers, I wanted to walk you through my thinking on an ID. Harry has a lot of great pictures in his gallery and if you have not visited that, I would suggest you look at the “Bones” galley, it is very educational.

That being said, based on what he has posted, it does not look like a bison to me. The “profile” of the bone in the last picture and shape in the third picture looks very much like a deer. But of course it is much to big, especially wide, to be a whitetail/mule type deer. But there are other large deer like animals that may have been around that area such as moose or elk (admittedly. I am not totally up on what animals were running around the Dutch countryside in the Pleistocene).   Let’s see what others say. 

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with ClearLake.  The phalanx has cervid-like contours, particularly notable in the last image.  In the Caenozoic [Brit. sp.], I think there were 2 or 3 large cervids in Britain -- red deer, Irish elk, and Clacton fallow deer.  Some, or all, of these may have lived closer to Holland.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

How exciting! Thank you ClearLake and Harry Pristis! I really appreciate your responses. I've looked through the photo album as suggested, and I see what you mean about the shapes. Thank you!

If there's any other info/pics I can give you to better understand which species it is, or exactly how old it may be, do let me know!