Whitby fossil id

Sebaileyuk

This is another fossil I found on the beach near Whitby a few years ago. 

I have a couple of ideas but don’t want to appear stupid given all the experts on this forum

F512DB24-2165-4EC4-ACD6-48458A55AEE3.jpeg

8B887CAF-A46B-4534-BF35-761428CECE1D.jpeg

Maybe it's a cephalopod / ?ammonite showing the siphuncle in the middle.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm going to have to see if I can find the information on the preservation bias toward siphuncles, but it does seem right, assuming there is one.  

It is certainly a straight-shelled (= orthoconic) nautiloid.  The structure of flattened beads is the siphuncle; you can see some of the shell exterior and the septa (the division between the chambers or camerae) on the bottom right of the first photo.  The structure of the siphuncle is very suggestive of a member of the Actinoceridae such as Actinoceras.  These are Ordovician or Silurian fossils, so this fossil probably originated elsewhere and was transported by water or glaciers to Whitby, which I think has Jurassic bedrock.  

Don

• I found this Informative 7

3 hours ago, Sebaileyuk said:

don’t want to appear stupid

Don't worry about that, we all started somewhere!

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

+1 on orthocone cephalopod

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

That's a really nice find for the area! I agree it's an orthoconic nautiloid with large siphuncle.

It's not actually an Ordovician/Silurian actinocerid but a Carboniferous pseudactinoceratid (a family of pseudorthocerid), quite likely Rayonnoceras  sp.  It's very similar to an actinocerid but is in a typical piece of Carboniferous limestone. There's no way to easily tell them apart without knowing the geology - you just don't get Ordovician and Silurian erratics around there. 

They occur sporadically in the Carboniferous rocks to the west and north, it makes my day when I come across one!

• I found this Informative 8

Tarquin

Thank you so much everyone for your kindness and help. 

I was considering a straight nautilus for this. Seeing the answers on here though makes me realise how much there is to find out. Need to do some serious reading up. 

Thanks everyone. 

3 hours ago, TqB said:

That's a really nice find for the area! I agree it's an orthoconic nautiloid with large siphuncle.

It's not actually an Ordovician/Silurian actinocerid but a Carboniferous pseudactinoceratid (a family of pseudorthocerid), quite likely Rayonnoceras  sp.  It's very similar to an actinocerid but is in a typical piece of Carboniferous limestone. There's no way to easily tell them apart without knowing the geology - you just don't get Ordovician and Silurian erratics around there. 

They occur sporadically in the Carboniferous rocks to the west and north, it makes my day when I come across one!

New info to me.  I was not aware of pseudactinoceratids.  Thanks so much!

Don

3 hours ago, Sebaileyuk said:

I was considering a straight nautilus for this. Seeing the answers on here though makes me realise how much there is to find out. Need to do some serious reading up. 

Spot on then - to be pedantic, "Nautilus" is just the name of the modern genus, everything else is "nautiloid". It's a very rare find as an erratic - I don't actually recall seeing one there though they are to be expected. :)

Tarquin

4 hours ago, TqB said:

quite likely Rayonnoceras  sp.

I always go search for an artist rendition... Helps my memory.

Rayonnoceras.jpg.8b455fde29127525f4f780a56828c923.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you very much for the correction. 

The artist rendition was very helpful too. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, Sebaileyuk said:

This is another fossil I found on the beach near Whitby a few years ago. 

I have a couple of ideas but don’t want to appear stupid given all the experts on this forum

I'm a little late to the party, but remember, no one an know everything about fossils. The more anyone learns, the more they specialize. You may end up an expert in these, helping a paleobotanist with an odd find because this is not in their realm of experience.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.