Real Mosasaurus Teeth?

Hi there guys.

Received these teeth as part of a big lot. These came labeled as Mosasaurus beaugei teeth from Morroco.

Would that be right? Is it possible to get to species by just looking at the teeth?

I have another one, a little bigger, labeled as Mosasaurus (Leiodon) anceps. How could I differentiate the species?

Thanks in advance,

Juliano

IMG_20190529_164917.jpg

IMG_20190529_164927.jpg

IMG_20190529_164943.jpg

IMG_20190529_164651.jpg

IMG_20190529_164712.jpg

IMG_20190529_164719.jpg

Real teeth. Mosasaur teeth are fairly common to find from Phosphate mines in Morocco.

Using your last few pictures for reference, the center and right teeth are probably from Prognathodon anceps IMO (Which is commonly labeled as "Mosasaurus (Leiodon) anceps", although I am not exactly sure as to why), characterized by the robustness of the teeth. I have little clue for the tooth on the left.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thank you friend!

I just contacted the seller and he said they are all supposed to be Mosasaurus (Leiodon) anceps...

What are your thoughts? =)

Thank you, guys!

So, is the subgenus Leiodon erected to a new genus Prognathodon, or something like that?

No it's just a different genus as far as I know. I don't think it's present in Morocco at all.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite