Smoresluve1984

Found this yesterday in the water at Caspersen Beach, FL. It looks like none of the other sharks’ teeth (or assumed sharks’ teeth). Found using a metal sifter. Any idea on what type it is or age, based on color (not brown or black)? 

4E1AC4BD-D035-4A59-9C10-F9EA617759F5.jpeg

9DFD34E5-FD98-48BA-99A9-AFC6AC77C709.jpeg

DFEE65CF-A654-418B-B22D-43BD0A2A0069.jpeg

1 hour ago, Smoresluve1984 said:

Any idea on what type it is or age, based on color (not brown or black)? 

The general shape and the crack are suggestive of a tooth. If it is I doubt it is in good enough shape to be identified. Color can be used as an indicator sometimes, but is not really a reliable indicator because it can vary within the same formation depending on the minerals that happened to be present during diagenesis.

• I found this Informative 1

From the pictures you posted I can't find any characteristics that would be diagnostic of a tooth.  (No carinae, serations, angle and curves are off)  The closest thing I would say that offers a passing resemblance is a turtle leg spur but that isn't it either.  

I'm not sure what you have either.......Can you give us another photo or two...need a sharply focused view of the inside of the opening and another of the base of the item.

Is there any texture present that you can see and/or photograph? How big is this item--need a scale or ruler in the photos to get a sense of its size or know a length?

I almost want to say this is a shell fragment of some critter/possibly mollusc based on that last image which seems to have a luster about it but the photos just arent sharp enough to see the surface texture or any significant features--its pretty worn. Maybe there is a clue in some additional views...

Casperson and some of those beaches in the area produce all kinds of nifty things..and the tumbling on the beach sometimes turns them into unidentifiable blobs....

Regards, Chris 

at first look. I thought it was a broken tooth or something. I can't id what is it specifically.

Could you show a picture of the "inside"?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks for the additional pictures!

I agree with Ynot/Rockwood that its not a tooth and it being a fragment of some type of shell--maybe oyster but I have a few Mytilus that look similar, especially near the beak.  Yours does have a toothy look to it though...

It may or may not be fossil...hard to tell around here with so many extant and fossil shells around... 

Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris