Large morrocan trilobite, real?

I recently bought this large trilobite fossil at a rock/fossil shop in Texas. After doing research I found that their are apparently Alot of fakes out there. The fossil itself has the same grainy mineral characteristics as the rock surrounding it when a flashlight is shined on it. The tiny sandy mineral deposits sparkle. I did a small bite test that an article I read suggested to do and it did not feel like resin. It was very gritty and the same texture as the rock that surrounds the fossil. Please help me if you can. Sorry it is only 1 picture. It wouldn't let me upload any more. 

Screenshot_20190528-201233_Messenger.jpg

This looks like a complete fabrication, to me. 

It looks carved to me.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Try to refresh or go to main menu and back again between loading pictures.

You should be able to upload another if it's less than 3.95 MB if you try again now.

Close ups and a photo of the back may help, but I think this is carved from clay or the like.(as Tim's just posted). 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have to agree with the others. It looks carved but more pictures would help us be sure

You can add more photos by replying to this thread.

I have to agree that the "specimen" looks like a complete fabrication.  There are no suture lines on the cephalon, the grooves/lobes on the glabellum differ a lot from authentic specimens, and the divisions between pleural segments are obviously carved and do not even extend all the way to the edge.

Don

Here is more of a close up. Thank you for the replies so far. Disappointing but I can understand. In retrospect I thought I had a good deal only paying 50 dollars for it. This thing is 8 inches tall and 6 inches across 

20190529_203556.jpg

It looks like there are drying cracks in between the segments and the “v”s between the eyes look exactly like the blade on one of my clay tools I use for prepping fossils....

5 minutes ago, John525 said:

In retrospect I thought I had a good deal only paying 50 dollars for it.

Well, you can look at it this way .. you now have a decent decorative/art piece that 'resembles' a large trilobite that used to be on the planet over 500 million years ago ?  It's a glass half full way to go ....

Cheers,

Brett

I agree, unfortunately this piece is fake :( the glabellar furrows and misalignment of thoracic segments are telltale signs. There doesn't appear to be any details along the genal borders as well. 

9 hours ago, John525 said:

I recently bought this large trilobite fossil at a rock/fossil shop in Texas. After doing research I found that their are apparently Alot of fakes out there. The fossil itself has the same grainy mineral characteristics as the rock surrounding it when a flashlight is shined on it. The tiny sandy mineral deposits sparkle. I did a small bite test that an article I read suggested to do and it did not feel like resin. It was very gritty and the same texture as the rock that surrounds the fossil. Please help me if you can. Sorry it is only 1 picture. It wouldn't let me upload any more. 

Screenshot_20190528-201233_Messenger.jpg

Can't see if its fake or not. It's beautiful tho..

Hey @John525, looks completely fake to me.  Try not to feel bad.  We have all been taken by fakes before.  The next time you have something you want to purchase, post a pic here and these folks will let you know what they think.  and believe me, these folks know what they are talking about.  Good luck

RB

I think JUST the tail is real. It looks more wonky and detailed than the rest of the specimen.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Possibly parts of the top of the axis in the pygidium are original, nothing else, I'm afraid. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I think parts are real. They usually include some real bits and then build it up with fake stuff on top. On some of mine that I've examined, I've found more real fossil actually beneath the resin that they use, because they don't just use that material to create missing parts, but also to 'improve' upon existing ones. A rinse under the tap and scrub with a toothbrush can reveal more original bits, because mine were painted too.

I never realized I would get so many replies. Thank you everyone for yalls input! I really like this forum. I will make some posts on some pretty awesome fossil finds I have made out in the wilderness. I can guarantee the authenticity of those! Lol

1 minute ago, John525 said:

I never realized I would get so many replies. Thank you everyone for yalls input! I really like this forum. I will make some posts on some pretty awesome fossil finds I have made out in the wilderness. I can guarantee the authenticity of those! Lol

Looking forward to seeing them!