I found this bone on rehoboth beach I need help specifically ID what it is

Fossil_Adult

I'm wondering if anyone could help me ID thus fossil bone from Rehoboth Beach, DE. I think it's land mammal, but not sure of what species. It's in pretty good condition (I think) so hopefully being able to ID this will be easy. I hope you guys can help me out! Thank you! (Sorry I can only upload one picture it won't let me upload multiple)

Uu

image.jpg

Edited by Fossil_teenager
Bad photo

7 minutes ago, Fossil_teenager said:

(Sorry I can only upload one picture it won't let me upload multiple)

You can add pictures in a reply to this thread,

If still get an over limit try resizing the picture or refresh the page.

Welcome to TFF!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Nice find, your hunch is correct.  I would ID this as a mammal astragalus, or ankle bone.  It made be from a camel or related ungulate.  Others more experienced in mammal bones may be able to clarify.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you! I've been anxious to know what species it is. I've been finding a lot of other bones at this beach which is weird because this is a tourist beach. I'd never imagine that it'd have so many fossils!

Can you please give us a size on this item?

It is always best to take your pictures with a standard ruler next to the object.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, Fossil_teenager said:

Thank you! I've been anxious to know what species it is. I've been finding a lot of other bones at this beach which is weird because this is a tourist beach. I'd never imagine that it'd have so many fossils!

Rocks do not care about tourists, and most tourist don't care about rocks.:shrug:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Sorry I'm new here so I'm just learning as I go. It's 1 and 1/2 inches lengthwise and the width is 3/4 inch. 

I don't know it's hard as a rock. Modern bones tend to be soft but this one isn't.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that it's an astragalus. Thanks for all the help guys!

2 hours ago, Fossil_teenager said:

I don't know it's hard as a rock. Modern bones tend to be soft but this one isn't.

try the lighter trick.  Take a match or lighter and put it to a corner of the piece, preferably one that has a recent break, if there is any such area.  If it smells like burnt hair, it's recent, if it does not, it's likely lithified.  This isn't fool-proof, and hardly high-tech, but it works a lot of the time.

Rehoboth? That's funny. I was just there last week.  Spent years there. Never found a thing, but a friend found a Walrus tusk in nearby Ocean City

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I tried the method, and it didn't smell like anything. So unless this deer had a rock for a bone, I think it's safe to say that it's fossilized. (I think). I've never found much at Rehoboth (because I don't think to look) but now that I'm looming more closely, I'm finding bones everywhere along the surf.