ID/collection (:

Notidanodon

This is going to be a continuing thread:) hopefully it can show others my small collection whilst also getting a few id’s along the way:ighappy:here are the first three challenges (boxes are 8x5cm)

n.1 waltonian(late Pliocene) Walton on the Naze, red crag formation (this box is actually 3.5x3.5cm so the shells are around 2/3 mm long

2.nipa palm seed? And various gastropods Eocene, London clay, isle of sheppey

3 vertebra from sheppey(previous)

thanks so much,

will:)(also sorry for bad pics)

7B1E17F5-43F5-49DC-8E5E-CCFB310100B9.jpeg

1872A155-A13D-4225-A2DA-8B57F32C93F6.jpeg

6 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

2.nipa palm seed? And various gastropods Eocene, London clay, isle of sheppey

Are these pyritised?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just now, abyssunder said:

Are these pyritised?

Yes they are mostly steinkerns but some have original shell material:)

The big one in question might be Nipa, but pictures from more sides may be more convincing.

Nice gastropods, BTW!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

The big one in question might be Nipa, but pictures from more sides may be more convincing.

Nice gastropods, BTW!

Can't help with IDs, but these smaller items might look better in Riker mounts. Are they available over there? (or something like them)

In the first photo, the two small gastropods look like periwinkles or dog winkles.  Let me pry my Pliocene shell ID materials open when I get back home (I'm on lunch break at work, lol).

I wish I could help with the fish verts, but my fish expertise only goes back to the Miocene. Before that, nada.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

5 hours ago, hemipristis said:

In the first photo, the two small gastropods look like periwinkles or dog winkles.  Let me pry my Pliocene shell ID materials open when I get back home (I'm on lunch break at work, lol).

I wish I could help with the fish verts, but my fish expertise only goes back to the Miocene. Before that, nada.

That’s fine I just got the id of those two but thanks :)

here are some close ups of some of the

2.pyritized gastropods  and some

4.crocodile bones from hell creek,any ideas

5.i know that the middle one is otudus obliquus, what are the others (eocene from khourigba mine i think?)

6. eocene shells from paris basin (one trigonomista?)

IMG_7986.JPG

IMG_7985.JPG

IMG_7983.JPG

IMG_7982.JPG

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7980.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

IMG_7972.JPG

15 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Can't help with IDs, but these smaller items might look better in Riker mounts. Are they available over there? (or something like them)

Yes I am considering that but they seem quite expensive:unsure:

7.eryma? From runswick UK idk the age

79BC3286-52ED-46BB-9A0E-5CB60CDD4C54.jpeg

88AEA959-720A-4BF5-8229-8792124221AC.jpeg

7 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Yes I am considering that but they seem quite expensive:unsure:

Yes, they seem to be outside the US. At the maker's website they're affordable, but I don't know if they ship internationally. If they do, seems like someone could go into business being the supplier for the UK or whatever country.. They do sell boxes-full wholesale.

13 hours ago, will stevenson said:

here are some close ups of some of the

2.pyritized gastropods  and some

4.crocodile bones from hell creek,any ideas

5.i know that the middle one is otudus obliquus, what are the others (eocene from khourigba mine i think?)

6. eocene shells from paris basin (one trigonomista?)

IMG_7986.JPG

Good luck on these "sand tiger" teeth. They're the Carcharinids of the Eocene when it comes to identification: I tried with these, but never felt comfortable with any of my IDs without additional photo angles.  Here are a few references if you want to give it a shot:

http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollection/sharkteeth list totaal/totaal sharteeth list.htm

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/carcharias.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

George Santayana

7 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Good luck on these "sand tiger" teeth. They're the Carcharinids of the Eocene when it comes to identification: I tried with these, but never felt comfortable with any of my IDs without additional photo angles.  Here are a few references if you want to give it a shot:

http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollection/sharkteeth list totaal/totaal sharteeth list.htm

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/carcharias.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

Thanks so

much I am finding it hard as well maybe I will just go with striatomala sp.:)

2 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Thanks so

much I am finding it hard as well maybe I will just go with striatomala sp.:)

Striatolamia macrota :) 

The 2 ray tooth (above) are Myliobatis dixoni 

The 3th one Aetobatis irregularis 

For the 2 shark teeth (middle and above the middle) I need better pictures

2 hours ago, Natalie81 said:

Striatolamia macrota :) 

The 2 ray tooth (above) are Myliobatis dixoni 

The 3th one Aetobatis irregularis 

For the 2 shark teeth (middle and above the middle) I need better pictures

thanks so much,  the middle one is a pathological otudus obliquus and the other is identical to the middle bottom:) 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, will stevenson said:

thanks so much,  the middle one is a pathological otudus obliquus and the other is identical to the middle bottom:) 

Nice! :)

i ended up having around 10 species in there when i thought i had like 5:default_faint:

14 hours ago, will stevenson said:

i ended up having around 10 species in there when i thought i had like 5:default_faint:

I ended up with around 6, but I kept second guessing myself. These Eocene teeth are not my forte. I feel more comfortable with the Mio-Pliocene Carcharhinids, and that's saying something! :D

George Santayana

10 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I ended up with around 6, but I kept second guessing myself. These Eocene teeth are not my forte. I feel more comfortable with the Mio-Pliocene Carcharhinids, and that's saying something! :D

yeah it was hard!!:)the actual number was 7 but again i wasnt quite sure