Stable kayak?

Northern Neck

Hey everyone, just looking into kayaks a little.  I see a lifetime tandum posted below which looks very stable.  Does anyone have any recommendations for SOT ones that dont flip easy and handle nicely?  Something what doesn't break the bank since most are 600+. 

I meant below a few posts in this section.  A lifetime tandem one. But it's hard to find apparently. Older model I guess. Didn't know if anyone here uses some and have any pointers when looking.

Edited by Northern Neck
Typo

Wal mart sells a pretty good one foe <$300

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Craig's List and The Market Place both have used kayaks for sale at reasonable prices.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

13 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

I've been running an Ocean kayak single and a tandem for a while, and like them.  I don't have experience with many other makes.  I will say that I like the longest yak I can handle for best tracking.  Short yaks may be convenient to load on top of a car, but may wear you out with poor tracking.  As for width, I never pursued the widest yaks available, as extra width (and length, for that matter) equate to extra weight.  I don't need a yak I can stand up in.  My balance, flexibility, and sea legs are good so I'm pretty successful at hopping or sliding in quick while keeping my center of mass on centerline.  Also, I tend to hop out in sharply turning shallow rapids approaching blowdowns or strainers, humbly walking through rather than letting hydraulics get me sideways and flip me.  Sit on tops are my strong preference as stream conditions often require me to throw my legs out almost instantaneously at times, much better accomplished than possible with a sit-inside.   I guess one way to summarize my rambling is that every boat presents a compromise, so I prefer the best combination of length, width, and handling I can get under 60 lbs.  I can handle heavier yaks overhead on level ground with good footing, but going up a sloppy bank with something heavier for me could equate to '"snarge" over tea kettle'.

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the advice.  I tried out a pelican regular 10ft set inside today and it's ok but I definitely don't like the set inside feel.  Then tried a 8.5ft lifetime SOT and so much better.  Didn't rock as much and super easy to control. Prob look for a 10ft SOT tandom and hook up a trolling motor to breeze around in. 

The Lifetime yak is still available at some big-box retailers (online), but the newer model is slightly different - it only has a hatch in the front and the rear hatch is no longer there. Most websites show the old photo, so if the hatches are important to you - ask before buying.

It's very stable - I haven't tried standing in it yet, but I am going to give that a try tomorrow when I hit the river again.

It's the most stable kayak I have been in (out of three different SOT types), but like I said in my post - it's SLOW.... not really an issue when fossil hunting, but something to keep in mind.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Bone Daddy said:

The Lifetime yak is still available at some big-box retailers (online), but the newer model is slightly different - it only has a hatch in the front and the rear hatch is no longer there. Most websites show the old photo, so if the hatches are important to you - ask before buying.

It's very stable - I haven't tried standing in it yet, but I am going to give that a try tomorrow when I hit the river again.

It's the most stable kayak I have been in (out of three different SOT types), but like I said in my post - it's SLOW.... not really an issue when fossil hunting, but something to keep in mind.

I like how a few models have trolling motor options also! 

8 minutes ago, Northern Neck said:

I like how a few models have trolling motor options also! 

Me too. I am going to take advantage of that in the future. There is a steel bracket available that straps onto the back and allows you to mount the motor in the rear - I like the idea of rear mounting because hanging the motor off the side seems like it would get in the way when paddling.

I recall back in the 1980's, one didn't need to register a boat in Florida if it only had a trolling motor. I'm not sure when they changed that law, but now you have to register it.

I'll have to check on that for Virginia also. I really like the look of the one you have. Plus it's nice to take a kid with you also on it. I like the tamarck one they have but it's single person only I believe. 

Thanks for the help.  Your review sorta sold me on that model 

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Northern Neck said:

I'll have to check on that for Virginia also. I really like the look of the one you have. Plus it's nice to take a kid with you also on it. I like the tamarck one they have but it's single person only I believe. 

Thanks for the help.  Your review sorta sold me on that model 

Funny thing is, I submitted this review to the manufacturer and they rejected it three times - even after edits. They didn't like that I was too honest with it. Kinda makes you wonder about all the reviews you see on manufacturer websites. They just want glowing reviews. My review was favorable, but they didn't like what I said about the third seat, even though it's true. Oh well, if they get some sales from my review, they should thank me.  LOL.

It's a good yak. I am happy with it.  :)

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

I thought your review was darn good.  Honest review.  It's not the fastest but it's stable. I went out yesterday in uncle's pelican 10ft set inside and a 8.5 SOT lifetime. Definitely see where the set inside handles better and is alot faster. But the sot just feels so much more stable. It's a slow cruiser yak.  I'm getting something for myself and will have a trolling motor for longer trips. I see that's a must for river use since your fighting current alot 

I've used a 10 ft Pelican which tracked terrible. I currently use 10 ft sit on top Lifetime kayak that I paid less than $250 for at Walmart. It's very stable and tracks well. I'm 6 ft 4 and 270 lbs and have no issues even with my kayak loaded down. 

• 3 months later...

I've been looking lately and the Bonafide EX123 Sit In (but watch the video its also stand up) Kayak is a mid range sit in or stand up Kayak. Its gotten good reviews is said to be very stable and tracks well in the water. it $999 See the video below. The same you-tuber has other videos on sit-in vs. sit-on kayaks, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POopafLKTJM

If you want something a little cheaper my buddy has a LifeTime Tamarack Angler SOT. He says its a bit to heavy (52 lb.) and has holes designed to drain water, but instead shoot water up your back side and under your legs every time you get in it. He plugged my holes with 4 Evian water bottle caps, then just dump out the water if I need to.

I think sit on top, or combo like the ex123, is the way to go for river/creek hunting because you can get in and out easier than an enclosed type.

Also stay below 10’ otherwise, in some states, you'll need to license it.