Madagascar Fish

Yoda

Are the fossil fish nodules from Madagascar offered for sale exported legally?

Lots on offer on ones favourite auction website, and elsewhere. 

Seen a lot of discussion on Madagascan Ammonites for sale, how they may not be exported unless they have been “artistically enhanced” ie polished.

But not seen anything mentioned re fish.

Does anyone have any info?

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

I think the stipulation is the items have to be worked on.  Splitting the nodules may constitute this, :shrug:I don't know.

You certainly wouldn't want to try to polish the fish, things could get real ugly!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It is forbidden to export raw fossils from Madagascar. Fish nodules are therefore prohibited. But often, traders export a large batch of worked fossils and add in the containers raw fossils that they do not declare.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, caterpillar said:

It is forbidden to export raw fossils from Madagascar. Fish nodules are therefore prohibited. But often, traders export a large batch of worked fossils and add in the containers raw fossils that they do not declare.

So all these fish fossil listed on that auction  website are essentially illegal?? 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Im not sure what they could possible do with these concs.  The fish is long gone and only an impression left.  Never thought of these being illegal.  Ive got several.

RB

There are fossil fish from Madagascar or Brazil in many collections. Even museums have a lot of them. I have some too. But it's forbidden. We will not bother you with this because there is a form of tolerance for small pieces (or corruption in some cases for big ones) but you must know that legally, it is forbidden, just like the fossils of China or Mongolia