North Carolina fossils?

Benjaminpb

Hello all! Soooooooo  I'm going to North Carolina in late July for a short family vacation. We're not going there to look for fossils but of course I'm hoping to do just that. I really have no idea where to start. Any suggestions? Thank's.

Ben, you might want to post where in the state you will be in.

Also scan through the "Fossil Sites" topic under North Carolina and see if you find anything to help there.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I will be in Greensboro. We're planning on driving to the beach after the event in in Greensboro. Any advice on a beach in NC? Thank's for the advice Caldigger.

I think there is a quarry that allows access on a particular day. Vaguely recall this?? Hopefully someone with real knowledge can clarify. Check any rip rap areas out in the harbor areas. It is likely that the material contains fossils from the local quarries. Beach hunts are tough but finds can be had. Not great ideas but it is all I can add from my experiences in North Carolina.

Good luck,

Mike

Don't know much about beaches, but Greenville is a good place to start and is probably the closest location to you. You could also try you luck in Triassic roadcuts of the Triangle area, it is very unproductive but interesting. 

The Tooth Fairy