June 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on JUNE 30, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the thread is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find (Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

• 2 weeks later...

Re-entered.

Discovered 6/2/19, completed 6/8/19.

Pseudemys floridana or  P. williamsi.(Turtle with predation marks)

Miocene-Holocene, Bone Valley Formation

Florida, Peace River.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

7C10F2BE-BDE6-437A-B94D-323EFBD6D506.jpeg

• I found this Informative 32

2 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

The life and death of lil’ blerp blerp - a heroic Pleistocene turtle.

Little Tidgy is horrified. 

Poor blerp blerp. :(

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@joshuajbelanger now that is an incredible find!!! Wow! :default_faint:

Love your little story too!

2 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

997,981 BC

Well-chosen date, I see what you did there ;) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I will be submitting my turtle shell to fossil of the month vertebrate entry. 

Found on the peace river(undisclosed location) on 6/2/19 with @Bone Daddy.  This is a rare specimen that shows clear predation marks on the plastron and carapace. The specimen has been shown to a number of paleontologists that specialize in turtle fossils.  There has been mixed opinions about the species.  One claims that it can be a North American Testudinoid or Trachemys sculpta. The other claims that it is a Pseudemys, maybe Floridana.  Regardless, both agree that it is a young adult.  I've written a small description about the final days of this beautiful specimen.  

Josh, 

Great find.  Please use the Format requested in the rules for your entry.  ;) 

Thanks. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I still need to touch up the area of paleobond on the plastron.  Don’t worry guys, I’ll get it looking sharp.  Lol

I'll let you know where to send it. :thumbsu: Great find! I found one like that in a Mazon Creek concretion, and then I woke up.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Date of Discovery: 08.06.2019

Scientific and/or Common Name: Pinus sp and Pinus brevis cones

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Miocene

State, Province, or Region Found: Poland, Chłapowo

image.png.b971744077a7a186866887fb4bd62d87.png

image.png.6b1a63dc0e94591c984a9357ae1f9854.png

image.png.a9412ba75d4795d2ca015d8c6f3c1ba2.png

image.png.b72501e74756cf5e455d4a28e4bc2d52.png

• I found this Informative 9

*VFOTM entry*

What the heck. It isn't as flashy as the more evolved verts, but it's among the best one can hope for in the mostly spineless Devonian. :P 

Specimen of a posterior median dorsal plate of the trunk shield measures 20 cm tip to tip. Judging by the size of the plate in relation to the full anatomy, this old fish in life would have been around 100 cm long (~3+ feet)

A larger specimen than I've seen on the UMMP database, and nearly complete (it is more common to find placoderms heavily disarticulated, leaving only the occasional piece of plate here and there). There is one researcher whose current active profile specializes in studying Devonian placoderms, and it may turn out that with more study the taxonomy will be changing to reflect a bit more granular assignment. This specimen may be part of the group of placoderms I've collected over the years and been asked to deposit at the ROM to facilitate the research... I just need to find the time and opportunity to bring a bunch of rock to Toronto. :D 

Date of Discovery: April 13, 2019 (prep = ~20 hours between June 7-10, 2019)

Scientific and/or Common Name: Protitanichthys cf. rockportensis -- arthrodire placoderm

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Mid-Devonian, Widder Fm

State, Province, or Region Found: Arkona, Ontario, Canada

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

Here is a diagram to situate the piece in context (not the same species):

Ccdraw2.jpg

• I found this Informative 20

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow, that's an amazing specimen. Makes me eager to get out into our own local Devonian again soon.

Found in a car-sized block, reduced to more manageable proportions for transport and preparation. Specimen measures 3.3 cm from pygidium to granulated preglabellar lip. F. croneisi only occurs in the Hillier Member of the Lindsay Fm (or Cobourg Fm as some still know the formation as), Although enrolled examples are relatively abundant, prone examples are considered rare.

"Flexicalymene croneisi is restricted to the Lindsay Formation and is characterized by coarse extraskeletal granules on the glabella and thoracic axis and a prominent preglabellar lip." (Isotalo, 146). 

"The thoracic axis continues this heavy [granular, nearly tuberculate] ornamentation. The preglabellar lip is very prominent in this species and the pygidium possesses five pairs of pleural ribs. These features and its stratigraphic position serve to distinguish this species from F. senaria. Complete specimens are frequently found in an enrolled or partially enrolled position, while extended individuals are rare." (Hessin, 172)

References:

Hessin, B. (2009) SOUTH-CENTRAL ONTARIO FOSSILS: A Guide to the Ancient Marine Life of the Region. Cobourg: n.p.

Isotalo, P.A. (2015) Ordovician Trilobites of Southern Ontario, Canada and the Surrounding Region. Manchester: Siri Scientific Publishing.

*IPFOTM entry* 

Date of Discovery: June 9, 2019 (prep = 10ish hours)

Scientific and/or Common Name: Flexicalymene croneisi 

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Ordovician, Lindsay Fm, Hillier Member

State, Province, or Region Found: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

IMG_6042.JPG

P6140131.JPG

P6140133.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Good afternoon. :) Talking about vertebrate fossil of the month, I have two scale specimens from the Cenomanian- Turonian (Middle Cretaceous). 

The first one: 

Perch like scale (Perciformes indet.)

Cenomanian- Turonian (Middle Cretaceous)

Discovered 12.06.2019

Found in the coast of Karkle village (Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania). 

perciformes 3.jpg

Perch like fishes are known from Early Cretaceous so Middle Cretaceous fossil can be scientifically important in the research of the oldest perch relatives.

• I found this Informative 6

The second vertebrate fossil from Cenomanian- Turonian belongs to deep water slimehead relative.

Some of these trachichthyoid deep water fishes are horrible in appearance (e.g. fangtooth) and live in very deep water. 

Trachichthyoid fishes appeared in Middle Cretaceous so this piece of rock is from the oldest times when these fishes are known.

Scale of Trachichthyoidei indet. (slimehead relitive)

Cenomanian- Turonian (Middle Cretaceous) 

Discovered 12.06.2019

Found on the coast of Karkle village (Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania)

trachichthyidae 5.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

And the two other finds (invertebrates).

It is thought that before quarternary glaciations there were many lakes and rivers during Miocene- Pliocene in Lithuania but only few little areas with these rocks left after the last glaciation. The rock looks very similar to brown coal and it is quite mineralized so this rock and fossil find is older than Quarternary. There are many similar boulders in that quarry of Klaipeda district so maybe I will find somewhat interesting in the future. My dream is to find rhino, tapir or another mammal that does not live in Lithuania for a long time! :)

Donaciinae subfamily (aquatic leaf beetle) elytron imprint. 

Found in Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania.

Discovered 03.06.2019

DONACIINAE ELYTRON.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

And the other find- seed of the carrot family found in brown coal.

Apiaceae indet. (carrot family) seed

Found in Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, western Lithuania.

Discovered 04.06.2019

MIOCENE SEED.jpg

For IFOTM, I would like to enter my Menuites ammonite I broke out of a Bryozoan colony I found on June 2nd. This is the most complete specimen of this species I have ever seen from the Big Brook area.

It was really an odd find for me. I have never had any luck breaking anything good out of Bryozoan colony concretions except for, well - Bryonzoans (go figure!), to the point that I had been keeping most of then in-tact. This one however was broken up and worn to the point that I figured I would give it a whack and was shocked to see this rare ammonite come out! I won't be doing any further prep for scientific reasons and will obviously be displaying both pieces together (if it ends up staying in my collection :) ).

Menuites ammonite in Bryozoan Colony

Discovered 6/02/2019

Late Cretaceous

Wenonah Formation

Monmouth County, NJ

6121921.jpg

menunite3.jpg

menunites2.jpg

menunites.jpg

I’m throwing my hat into the ring this month with a vertebrate fossil.

Bird flight feather

Eocene Period 

Green River Formation (18” layer)

Date Collected: 7 June 2019 (my 22nd wedding anniversary)

Lincoln County, Wyoming 

C813ECEB-5E3A-4487-AD3B-7983E283A374.thumb.jpeg.17f6ad75f3c924f74ad569e58efc3dad.jpeg

• I found this Informative 14

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m throwing my hat into the ring this month with a vertebrate fossil.

Bird flight feather

Eocene Period 

Green River Formation (18” layer)

Date Collected: 7 June 2019 (my 22nd wedding anniversary)

Lincoln County, Wyoming 

C813ECEB-5E3A-4487-AD3B-7983E283A374.thumb.jpeg.17f6ad75f3c924f74ad569e58efc3dad.jpeg

That's awesome!

56 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

That's awesome!

That's exactly why we hold this contest each month. ;)

More than a week left in the month--let's see what you all have been finding.

Cheers.

-Ken

12 minutes ago, digit said:

That's exactly why we hold this contest each month. ;)

More than a week left in the month--let's see what you all have been finding.

Cheers.

-Ken

I'll have a few days to hunt at the end of the month. Maybe I'll find something worth entering.  :)