markjw

More Ordovician fossils...illuminated by sunshine today

markjw

So I went back to Tannery Park to find fragments...got a few gastropods. But walking on the rocks, I encountered lots that I had missed. Brought my wife along and her eyes are sharp. She found a couple of nautiloids so large that I can't believe I missed them before.

I'd not noticed many brachiopods before, but I did this time. Also lots of "periwinkle beds".

This place will open to the public as a lakeside promenade in September. 

aBrach6.jpg

aCoral800.jpg

aRidgedCone2.jpg

aNaut-3.jpg

aNaut-4.jpg

aNaut-2b.jpg

Wrangellian

Nice big ones!

How long is that ribbed one that has nothing for scale? Were you able to collect it or any other?

markjw

Ribbed one was only 12 cm.

Collected only some loose gastropods. We visited on a whim, no tools, and I don't know how to extract fossils anyway!

I'm recording as many as I can, though. I never imagined one could find so many amazing fossils in one public location.

Thanks for comment Wrangellian !

Monica

I love orthoconic nautiloids - I think they might be my favourite type of fossil... :wub:

Thanks for showing all of these beauties!!! :dinothumb:

Re: collecting - I suspect that since this is a park that brought in the rock from elsewhere for shoreline rehabilitation, it might be frowned upon to hammer them all to bits in order to access the fossils within.  Loose collecting, though (as Mark has been doing) is probably fine.  

By the way - I think the top gastropod might be Pterotheca expansa - it seems to match the picture in Hessin's book quite well, and it's recorded from the Gull River Formation through to the Verulam Formation.

markjw

Thanks M. And Pterotheca expansa  is a good tip...fun for me to research.

Mark Kmiecik
19 hours ago, markjw said:

"only"? That's at least four times the length of any I've found!

Wrangellian
On 6/2/2019 at 7:01 PM, markjw said:

Collected only some loose gastropods. We visited on a whim, no tools, and I don't know how to extract fossils anyway!

If a person wouldn't get in trouble for doing it, and depending on the hardness of the matrix, I would come back to it with my pointy chisel (whatever you call it - it's like a chisel but it comes to a point), and use it (with the hammer) to poke around a couple inches away from that one and hope it pops out, preferably with some matrix but not necessarily. More than likely it will break into two or more pieces, but you would just take them home and glue them together. Then it would make a nice specimen, I'm sure!

markjw

Thanks for the tip!

Wrangellian

Be sure to show us the results if you try it.