Marine Fossil ID Request

WI-fossil-guy

Fossil Forum folks have been a huge help to me so far. Here is another ID request for a fossil found recently in ORDOVICIAN limestone of SE Minnesota USA

fMAY-2.jpg.c8749937189b5afa7f75559f4be7a292.jpgHMAY-1.jpg.05db0678d15d9869ded882be4d2b7e2a.jpgMAY-4.jpg.b9ae504531d0b5e253f5dfc6c58c7bfb.jpg

MAY-6.jpg

MAY-5.jpg

Looks more like some sort of bryozoan, to me.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If this is a bryozoan, what type might it be  and what identifying parts are visible in the fossil?

Biggest kicker is seeing the photos without the ruler, showing the internal structure, the line or tube like structures being indicative of bryozoan. The hard parts of a bryozoan make up what is called the zoarium. Unfortunately, many species and even genus' of bryozoans closely resemble one another. The only ways to properly identify most colonies is by either cutting a very thin section off in order to let light pass through and be able to identify the individual tubes which could house different type of zooecium (remains of the tiny animals that made up the colonies). Another method is by using acetate peels, essentially cutting the specimen and using acid to isolate more of the internal structure and using acetate and acetone in order to be able to accurately identify all of the structure (just a very quick summary without specifics in the procedure). Either method requires the proper equipment and safety precautions. A lot of work just to identify a specimen.

The easiest genus to identify in my mind would be Constellaria, easily identified by the star shaped monticules on the zoarium.

• I found this Informative 3

CSimpson176, thanks for the great and detailed ID info. Knowing the species would be great but I am not equipped to attempt the ID technique you detailed. However, can I be sure it is a bryozoan? If so, is what can be seen a lateral cross-section of the colony? THANKS.

Edited by WI-fossil-guy
Clarification

I would definitely say this is a bryozoan. Yes, that would be a lateral cross section. This photo is an example of Parvohallopora, showing it's internal structure similar to your specimen (Credit to the Cincinnati Dry Dredgers).

bryozoan.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

CSimpson176 - Thank you much for your great ID help. Your attached pic was very enlightening. Fossil hunting becomes much more enjoyable with the expert help of knowledgeable people like you and others on the Fossil Forum.

I'm still learning a whole lot myself as I'm by no means an expert (maybe I'll get there someday aha). Glad to have helped you on this, hoping for you to find many more things out in the field! :dinothumb:

• 1 month later...

CSimpson: You were a big help on my last ID Request (Bryozoan), have any ideas on my latest ID request (submitted today) - WI-fossil-guy?