Eastern Oregon Collecting Trip

Trapper John

Mare and I are headed to Eastern Oregon for a combined rock hunting/fossil hunting/gold prospecting trip.  The month of June seems to be a good time as things have dried out, kids are still in school, and fire season hasn't really started in earnest.  We'll be heading to Fossil, wandering over to Prairie City and the John Day country, then dropping down to Izee. We'll end up stopping at Delintment Lake, Glass Butte, and Hamton Butte.  Our 20' RPOD travel trailer will be "base camp."  A series of side trips  will include visits to the Painted Hills and Sheep Rock Units of the FossilBeds National Monument.

I am primarily interested in searching for ammonites but do plan on an obligatory stop at Wheeler High School for plant specimens.  Obsidian and limb casts are also on my collection list. I've done a lot of research and map recon and will share pics of the trip upon return.  Any suggestions on what to look for - and where - will be cheerfully appreciated!

Edited by Trapper John
Additional tags added

Can't help with localities, but did want to wish you good luck. :)  :Luck::d_good_luck:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oregon is one state I have never collected, so I can't offer suggestions I'm afraid.  However I'm eagerly anticipating your trip reports/photos when you return :popcorn: :popcorn:.  I've seen some photos of excellent Oregon ammonites online but I don't know specific localities.  Good luck!

Don

The only advice I can offer is take the time visit the Thomas Condon paleontology and visitor center. It was almost 10 years ago when I visited, but I remember being struck not only by the quality of the preservation, but also by the variety of species found in the area. I didn't take any pictures, so I look forward to seeing yours along with the rest of your trip report. Have fun and good luck! 

Fossilis, the Paleontology Center is definitely on my list!  We'll visit when we do the Sheep Rock unit. I am truly eager to build upon my "knowledge base" while there in preparation for the searching and collecting on public lands throughout the region.I

Thank you,  Don and Tim, for your comments as well!  

I remember reading somewhere about "sunstone" mines in eastern Oregon that sounded interesting. Might be worth a Google search. 

I always like to stop at the royal peacock opal mine when I am out that way. Its a fun place to find gemstones but what I really like is the shower and laundry facilities. Its nice to wash off the desert dust. There is also the BLM sun stone area that is out that way too. A quick google search should give you directions.

Jesse