Kremmling directions

ober

Hello all,

There are occasional requests for specific directions to collecting sites north of Kremmling. When I asked some time ago, I got the correct but vague advice to follow the geology. If you would like directions, feel free to send me a PM.

Tom

Where is Kremmling? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

47 minutes ago, RandyB said:

There is a Kremmling, Co that would fit with the altitude

Yes, this is in central Colorado. It has an ammonite study site that is a protected area. There are no facilities at the site. This is BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land and collecting is allowed outside the study site. The site is only 160 acres I think. For anyone visiting I would recommend printing out Google Earth maps which can show the route to the collecting area, or the study site, in great detail. Once I got off Rt 40 I could envision the turns getting to this collecting spot by having spent a lot of time with Google Earth maps. There are unboubtedly other fruitful locales close by but since we were here such a short time spending two visits at this site made sense. If I lived closer I’d explore other nearby options, potentially equally fruitful. 

• I found this Informative 2

Below are some articles about the Kremmling Cretaceous Ammonite Locality.

Kremmling Cretaceous Ammonite Locality

Posted by Marissa Lorenz | Thursday, July 6, 2017

| Community, Education

https://winterparktimes.com/community/kremmling-cretaceous-ammonite-locality/

72 million years ago: Kremmling Cretaceous 

Ammonite Locality takes trekkers into the past

Will Bublitz, Sky-Hi Daily News, August 11, 2008

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/72-million-years-ago-kremmling-cretaceous-ammonite-locality-takes-trekkers-into-the-past/

The Story of the Kremmling Ammonite Site and a 

Painting by Wayne Itano, Guest Blogger

http://thenaturalworld1.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-story-of-kremmling-ammonite-site.html

Izett, G.A., Cobban, W.A. and Gill, J.R., 1971. The 

Pierre Shale near Kremmling, Colorado, and its 

correlation to the east and the west 

USGS Professional Paper 684- A

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/pp684A

Category:Kremmling Cretaceous Ammonite Locale

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Kremmling_Cretaceous_Ammonite_Locale

Kremmling Cretaceous Ammonite Locale: 02 The Wonder of KCAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MomxWXf-0TQ

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 4

Glad you found it.  I am one of those who gave you the vague 'follow the geology' directions.  Basically I did not want to put detailed directions on the web for all to abuse...  

Looking forward to seeing your finds.  

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, jpc said:

Glad you found it.  I am one of those who gave you the vague 'follow the geology' directions.  Basically I did not want to put detailed directions on the web for all to abuse...  

Hello jpc, 

I am on a Western trip and have a limited time to spend in Kremmling. If I lived here or if this was readily accessible I’d enjoy exploring area. I suspect there are lots of sites, since there looks to be lots of geologically similar places to the study area. However, since this is likely to be a one off visit for me, I wanted to increase the likelihood I’d be successful so did lots of research. Google Earth and contour maps helped. So did suggestions from off the forum.  I suspect others might be in the same situation time-wise and so wanted to offer some guidance to at least one site where they might find success. I would love to have more time here, it is a beautiful area.  I look forward to getting my finds home and cleaning them and seeing more clearly what I actually have. 

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 9:25 PM, jpc said:

Hello jpc. I’ve been meaning to get back to you on your comment “for all the abuse.” Abuse of you for posting directions, abuse of the site, of the forum, or what?  This site was clean, in that there was no trash and few, but some signs that others had been there before me. My visits to Western sites are likely one off visits and I have limited time, so want to help other in similar situations. Is this a tension between the one off visitor versus the local who makes repeat visits? That I understand. 

Basically I didn't want to post the directions on there for the whole world to know.  Abuse meaning in this context ... over-collecting.  

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, jpc said:

Basically I didn't want to post the directions on there for the whole world to know.  Abuse meaning in this context ... over-collecting.  

That's why God invented the PM. No exposure, no abuse.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

45 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

good advice, point taken. thanks. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Aha... God invented PM.  I have been wondering about that for a while.  

There is a Bureau of Land Management in Kremmling. They are very friendly and will direct you to areas that you can collect on. 

On 6/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, henpecked said:

There is a Bureau of Land Management in Kremmling. They are very friendly and will direct you to areas that you can collect on. 

yup, without putting detailed directions online.