bigred97

I do have Richardson's Guide to the Fossil Fauna of Mazon Creek, such a great book. When I looked in there, I first thought this is probably the negative half of an Euproops danae, just from the fact that it seems to have a middle ridge. But now I'm leaning toward Paleolimulus, just because of the angles of the bottom lines which seem to better match. Euproops is more rounded.

Either way, it's my best (and only) horseshoe crab fossil...

It is definitely a Euproops danae.

There is a rarer species found at the river but it looks considerably different.

To my knowledge, Palaeolimulus has only been found at Sites such as Pit 11 which preserve Essex fauna.

Nice find!

• I found this Informative 2

Here is an Annularia found open in the Creek by my wife. I'm hoping that the shark egg case and this one are enough to keep her interested in going again! Another one that would have been a super nice find before it weathered, but still nice nevertheless!

117Annularia621Creek.thumb.jpg.418d66534e7f482ff73c0ab6dae67272.jpg

I'm going to keep posting some open ones we found in the Creek this year that I find interesting in some way. I'm not good at naming the flora, it seems to be an art I haven't mastered yet. So no guesses on species...

118Unk756Creek.thumb.jpg.886b6d5f345e5e13fcd91b98ff5fe074.jpg

119Unk684Creek.thumb.jpg.202da25d86a10595b9455b70d1ab8d2f.jpg

120Unk686Creek.thumb.jpg.2b6cd609fafd5dfeb6992787b9bf9cb1.jpg

121Unk916Creek.thumb.jpg.b4dcae649d30a79150b9208b5f16507b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

This one I think is interesting due to the impressions that run alongside the midvein. Little holes on both sides.

126Unk750Creek.thumb.jpg.c434c08a29dec91a3d9b302a6bd4725f.jpg

127Unk778Creek.thumb.jpg.f7ecbaa79004539e44d2ac3c12a92918.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I'm super excited about this one from Pit 11. On one of my trips this year I found an area with a bunch of opened concretions and I noticed a few small flora fossils. Most of the ones that were open, however, were caked in mud and it was impossible to see if there was a fossil or not. Since I did see some that were definitely fossils, I took a bunch of these opened small ones.

Later, at home, I washed the mud off under running water very lightly with my fingers. One of these was just a few centimeters long but when the mud came off I saw these funny looking lines on it. But it was still wet and sort of hard to see so I set it aside to dry. Later I was washing mud off another and realized it was the other's twin when the mud came off and there were similar lines. When they had both dried a look at them with a magnifying glass and I couldn't believe what I saw - a little fish! I believe this is Elonichthys hypsilepus.

I wish these hadn't been opened because there is definitely some wear. And once I realized what this was, I was very hesitant to do anything else to them. I didn't even run them under water again to see if they could be cleaned up a little more. So nervous of doing any damage. But I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion that I should try to do something. Perhaps soak in water for awhile and use a soft, light paint brush to see if any more "debris" will come off?

129Elonichthys870T.thumb.jpg.040bab46862ba42b18be01c66fb9ae1c.jpg

130Elonichthys940T.thumb.jpg.533f5c67b5d5848f3a2d6f2a6b28bc58.jpg

131Elonichthys1310T.thumb.jpg.86fd4d84246e6a36a9747690252263a6.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Very nice find!

i agree that it is an E. Hypsilepus.

These are rarer then E peltigeras.

You should be able to clean it up a bit.

if it were mine, I would soak it in diluted white vinegar.

i would start with 10% vinegar to 90% water.

Soak it for several hours. I would then lightly brush it with a soft bristle tooth brush. 
Rinse it off and let it dry.

you can repeat and if necessary increase the ratio of vinegar to water.

Once you receive the desired results, soak the fossil in water for several hours to remove any remaining vinegar.

It should look pretty nice once cleaned.

Wow, what a great find! :yay-smiley-1: Even worn, the detail is still incredible, and with a little clean-up like @RCFossils suggested I think it will shine. Congratulations!

Next is a fossil I'm really enjoying due to how detailed it is. I believe this is Didontogaster cordylina. I really like the protuberances along the sides, which I believe are called parapodia. I haven't been as lucky with the tooth or teeth that should be seen in the gut region (giving this worm the nickname Tummy Tooth Worm). I do see a round feature that I think is it, but I can't see enough detail to be sure. Pit 11.

143DidontogasterT.thumb.JPG.03acda43ace82717f58bb896b345bc55.JPG