bigred97

Terrific collection!   I love cracking open nodules. It's highly addictive. Two must haves if you're into mazon creek or just love the Carboniferous.

The Mazon Creek Fossil Flora  by jack wittry. And Richardson's guide to The Fossil Fauna of Mazon Creek. Charles w. Shabica and Andrew a. Hay editors.  Wonderful books.

What do you use to for pics?  Nice close-ups.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, jonnyquest. I have both of those books as well as Jack Wittry's Fauna book. He is also coming out with a new flora book soon - can't wait.

For the close-ups, I got a macro lens by Xenvo that I use with my iPhone. I only shoot on bright sunny days in direct sunlight. That can make it difficult - sometimes it's so bright I can't see what the picture looks like! So lots of running back into the house, finding out that the picture is blurry, running out and trying it again. I also got a flexible tripod with a remote shutter, but haven't experimented enough with that yet.

4 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Thanks, jonnyquest. I have both of those books as well as Jack Wittry's Fauna book. He is also coming out with a new flora book soon - can't wait.

For the close-ups, I got a macro lens by Xenvo that I use with my iPhone. I only shoot on bright sunny days in direct sunlight. That can make it difficult - sometimes it's so bright I can't see what the picture looks like! So lots of running back into the house, finding out that the picture is blurry, running out and trying it again. I also got a flexible tripod with a remote shutter, but haven't experimented enough with that yet.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that book when it comes out.

Nice pictures.  Sometimes it's hard to get that perfect shot. I use a Google pixel 3a and like it better than my other phones for picture taking. 

Thanks, deutscheben! I really like these worms. After finding almost none last summer, I had better luck this year. Here is I think another Didontogaster, I really like it but it's fainter like you said.

151DidontogasterT.thumb.JPG.aa555419e557f0551f2970e1fb0cb75c.JPG

And here is another Didontogaster that I think is pretty good, I especially like the detail on the bottom part. I'll post a few more close-ups of this one.

152DidontogasterT.thumb.JPG.a74388ec261a2c136138d96586631281.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks, RuMert! No I haven't yet cleaned the fish. I'm too happy with it the way it is and too scared for anything to happen to it. I'll think about it again at some later date.

Just found this thread Chris !! Very Nice !! You have found some nice stuff in your short fossil career !! I believe we spoke for a bit at one of the braceville/esconi field trips. The west side of the hill. Nice to see some of your finds !! I'm looking forward to spring and more fossil hunting adventures. Someday I may get with the program, and learn to photo/upload photos of some of my finds.  Meanwhile, I'll enjoy yours !! Thanks for sharing !!  Phil

3 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Thanks, RuMert! No I haven't yet cleaned the fish. I'm too happy with it the way it is and too scared for anything to happen to it. I'll think about it again at some later date.

I was the same way with my scorpion, afraid I'd mess it up. Andrew Young told me to go for it and how to do it. It came out real nice . But, if you are happy with it the way it is, leave it .        Phil

Hi Phil! It's great to hear from you! I certainly remember our conversation on the side of the hill that day, I really enjoyed it. I'm glad you liked the pictures, I think you still win the cake for beginners luck but I'm doing my best haha.

Have you had any luck since we last spoke?

If you are ever interested in trying to post some photos, I could certainly give you some advice. It took a lot of trial and error to get to this point and now I think I could give some pretty good instructions. But certainly it's not everyone's cup of tea so that's fine if it's not yours.

Happy freeze/thaw season! Chris

On 11/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, bigred97 said:

Hi Phil! It's great to hear from you! I certainly remember our conversation on the side of the hill that day, I really enjoyed it. I'm glad you liked the pictures, I think you still win the cake for beginners luck but I'm doing my best haha.

Have you had any luck since we last spoke?

If you are ever interested in trying to post some photos, I could certainly give you some advice. It took a lot of trial and error to get to this point and now I think I could give some pretty good instructions. But certainly it's not everyone's cup of tea so that's fine if it's not yours.

Happy freeze/thaw season! Chris

Chris, I will take you up on the photo/upload advise sometime this winter. Thank you !! I haven't opened much of any real interest. Mainly ferns, jellies, clams, wood/bark. Couple with seed bracts that are kind of cool. But I still have 4-5 5 gal buckets of concretions to freeze/thaw from this years collecting. Hopefully find something in them !! Keep up the good work in opening yours !!! See you again somewhere down the line in the fossil pits !!!    Phil

Edited by flipper559

• 4 weeks later...

In the last few days I have had two concretions from Pit 11 split open and I am really at a loss as to what they might be. Here is the first one. There is just a very light coloration banding on one side. On the other side the coloration banding is not present and there is just a subtle texture change from the rest of the surface.

I was thinking at first this could be a light impression of an Annularia but I've never seen one like this. Then I wondered if it could be some kind of shrimp and those are legs, but the legs would be very long. The only other thing that comes to mind is an insect wing, but I know that would be a very rare find and it's much more likely to have a different explanation.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Chris

156UnknownT.thumb.jpg.60bb03971e5f1e9cd45f9ef74cdd7120.jpg

157UnknownT.thumb.jpg.71be30e478326db88fb3a3df759a4b2a.jpg

158UnknownT.thumb.jpg.0a9c1dd2e9b97fd88e3749492b9ad421.jpg

Here is the other one that I can't figure out. I'm not sure if this is a fossil or just a strange way the nodule split. Somehow the shapes look vaguely familiar but I can't place any of them.

159UnknownT.thumb.jpg.baacc59412fee29b07de231b5813084d.jpg

160UnknownT.thumb.jpg.c396ae33c82631c09ab2ac562af4fe5d.jpg

161UnknownT.thumb.jpg.2bda7ead250ece4bf0515a363fa7eb7f.jpg

162UnknownT.thumb.jpg.4425a14abd8aa57c0f6fb09024c53bd2.jpg

163UnknownT.thumb.jpg.70e64961fac87242e139107604acd273.jpg

Hi Chris, That first one is very interesting. I believe the possibility of an insect wing is valid. Very cool !! The second one looks like a jelly to me ?? I opened a worm from Braceville this week. Still haven't learned to post pictures yet but soon .

Freeze/thaw repeat,

Phil