bigred97

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

Here is the other shrimp-like fossil I found open in Pit 11. Again it's very small and I found it already opened. It's sort of red-colored. I would guess another Acanthotelson.

202AcanthotelsonT.thumb.jpg.7cd1a707dc0028ae8fce7f9c1f782755.jpg

203AcanthotelsonT.thumb.jpg.02d3dc4b70ac20cbd9d22e119998cc3f.jpg

Yes, looks like an Acanthotelson..

• I found this Informative 1

I'm pretty sure about my ID for this next one, an example of Esconites zelus from Pit 11. This polychaete worm was named for ESCONI. I love the detail on the bristles and the patterns, like ripples, on the body. And the jaw apparatus is very prominent. The body sort of disappears in the middle, I think it just didn't split well there. I wonder if it could be prepped out? Chris

204EsconitesT.thumb.jpg.58b710701d3156cf3b730c9ba9829887.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 minute ago, bigred97 said:

I'm pretty sure about my ID for this next one, an example of Esconites zelus from Pit 11. This polychaete worm was named for ESCONI. I love the detail on the bristles and the patterns, like ripples, on the body. And the jaw apparatus is very prominent. The body sort of disappears in the middle, I think it just didn't split well there. I wonder if it could be prepped out? Chris

204EsconitesT.thumb.jpg.58b710701d3156cf3b730c9ba9829887.jpg

Definitely Esconites

The jaws are nicely preserved.

Next I'm going to post pictures of two bivalves, both found already open in Pit 11. I assume these must be Aviculopecten masonensis.

213.thumb.jpg.3d155d7696607ddd1d77ceab2d2b4b34.jpg

214.thumb.jpg.1bef4f0aaf7a309cac14d7fdf6e30420.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

This second one is on the tip of a large concretion. There is so much left of the rest of the concretion, I've been thinking if there is a way to check if it could have any other fossils without damaging this one. The problem is that I like this one and so far haven't been willing to risk it. I wonder if I should tap somewhat lightly on the other side and see if any cracks form?

217.thumb.jpg.bc57d01eaaf98efd1536ff1753626b4c.jpg

On 3/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, bigred97 said:

Personally, I wouldn't do anything more to this specimen.  It's wonderfully identifiable as it is.

Very nice Chris !! I love the scallops !! I just haven't found one yet !!  Nice job !! They are beautiful !!

Phil

Thanks, @Ruger9a! I am generally very hesitant to do anything to the fossils I find, and I think in this case there is no guarantee it will improve anything. So I agree with you!

Thanks, @flipper559! I'm sure you will find one some day, but it would help if we were allowed to be collecting right now! :shakehead:

Chris

That Esconites is stunning. Super detail. :wub:

And I rather like the scallops too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks, @Tidgy's Dad! I love the worms that have good details like that. And the scallops look just like the ones I pick up on Sanibel Island in Florida every year, maybe these are their great x 3.07 x 10grandparents!

16 hours ago, bigred97 said:

I wonder if I should tap somewhat lightly on the other side and see if any cracks form?

I would, but lots and lots of light taps (hundreds?) as opposed to a few strong ones. However, that is a wonderful specimen that would be a shame to ruin. You can assess the risk better than we can. Your call. And I hope you meant the edge opposite the fossil, not the opposite side!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks, @Mark Kmiecik! I did mean the edge opposite the fossil, far away from it. I looked at the concretion with my 10x loupe and couldn't see any signs of cracking anywhere. But the whole thing felt very solid so I didn't think light taps on the other side would pose any chance of danger. So I did some light taps and immediately didn't like what I heard - that high "ping" sound that typically means there will be nothing there. If I had heard the dull "thud" sound, I might have been tempted to keep at it, but I decided the risk wasn't worth it and stopped right there. I looked again with my loupe, but still no cracks to be found. Thanks for the advice anyway! Chris

On 3/31/2020 at 7:45 PM, bigred97 said:

Thanks, @Mark Kmiecik! I did mean the edge opposite the fossil, far away from it. I looked at the concretion with my 10x loupe and couldn't see any signs of cracking anywhere. But the whole thing felt very solid so I didn't think light taps on the other side would pose any chance of danger. So I did some light taps and immediately didn't like what I heard - that high "ping" sound that typically means there will be nothing there. If I had heard the dull "thud" sound, I might have been tempted to keep at it, but I decided the risk wasn't worth it and stopped right there. I looked again with my loupe, but still no cracks to be found. Thanks for the advice anyway! Chris

Yup, that high-pitched ping is usually an indicator that it's not likely to contain anything else, but the question "what did this concretion form around" remains. It certainly didn't form around the shell on its exterior. So, what does one do with specimens like this? Leave it alone until you have acquired a better specimen(s). At that point you can re-assess the risk, assuming you can remember to do it. That's why good notes and documentation are helpful. Keeping a current "to-do" list is better than trying to remember three or four dozen things.

One other thing I must mention is to write down the locations of sites you've hunted in detail and a short description of quantity, quality and type of material you've found at each. After 30 or 40 locations things can become a bit blurry.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks, Mark, those are great ideas. On my 2 days at Pit 11 this year I stopped occasionally to note the time and my GPS coordinates. I put a sticky note in the bag with those concretions so that on my topographical map I can mark down the spots where I found concretions. I am learning that of 2 sites where I thought I was off the beaten path, one of them (labeled 12:21pm) is not so good even though I found a lot there. At least not so good so far, freeze thaw continues. The other one hasn't been great but I have at least found a few things so far. That is labeled 1:41pm. And you have to carefully label your freeze-thaw containers and what opens up. Lots of notes and project management haha.