bigred97

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot of concretions open in the last couple of weeks, and I'm going to try to get some of them posted. First off are two that I'm really excited about, these both opened this week. I think they may both be partial Tullys, from Pit 11. The first one looks like a tail to me and the second looks like the middle of the body with the eye stalk and I think one eye. I remember finding the second one, and thinking, "here's my Tully!" It just seemed to have the right size and shape to possibly be "the one". If anyone can confirm my thinking on these, it would be much appreciated. Chris

290TullyT.thumb.jpg.c1b68a7cc4b2c3cf74f56c759f1d26c6.jpg

291TullyT.thumb.jpg.384c1cc44447aaaa94a5ef7ce5213c42.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

8 hours ago, bigred97 said:

I've had a lot of concretions open in the last couple of weeks, and I'm going to try to get some of them posted. First off are two that I'm really excited about, these both opened this week. I think they may both be partial Tullys, from Pit 11. The first one looks like a tail to me and the second looks like the middle of the body with the eye stalk and I think one eye. I remember finding the second one, and thinking, "here's my Tully!" It just seemed to have the right size and shape to possibly be "the one". If anyone can confirm my thinking on these, it would be much appreciated. Chris

290TullyT.thumb.jpg.c1b68a7cc4b2c3cf74f56c759f1d26c6.jpg

291TullyT.thumb.jpg.384c1cc44447aaaa94a5ef7ce5213c42.jpg

Sweet finds!

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, @RCFossils! I was 98% sure but I'd never seen one in person so there was that last little bit of doubt. I'm so excited to know for sure! Now I need to find the proboscis, and I will have found a complete Franken-tully!

Thanks, @Runner64!

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

Thanks, @RCFossils! I was 98% sure but I'd never seen one in person so there was that last little bit of doubt. I'm so excited to know for sure! Now I need to find the proboscis, and I will have found a complete Franken-tully!

Thanks, @Runner64!

Just had a look through the rest of this page. Super cool and happy hunting :) 

Thanks, @Runner64! Even though I only started my Mazon Creek collection a few years ago, well after the heyday of the locale, I have had so much fun and excitement from collecting there. There are still really awesome things that can be found, it just takes a bit more legwork (and backwork!) than it did in the past. Chris

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

Thanks, @Runner64! Even though I only started my Mazon Creek collection a few years ago, well after the heyday of the locale, I have had so much fun and excitement from collecting there. There are still really awesome things that can be found, it just takes a bit more legwork (and backwork!) than it did in the past. Chris

I’m the exact same way as you. I’ve only started venturing out there maybe 3 years ago and only make a trip out once or twice a year. Nonetheless good quality stuff is getting hard to find but can still be found. Like you said, it’ll take some more work!

Here is a shrimp of some sort, I believe. From Pit 11. I thought originally it might be Acanthotelson stimpsoni but the more I look through the other crustacea in Wittry'a fauna book, the more I think it could be any one of a number of other species. 

292ShrimpT.thumb.jpg.253451b7ba77fd0d10bea65cd2494a6c.jpg

293ShrimpT.thumb.jpg.31bbb22c5c29f976d897ad71816db0fe.jpg

If anyone has an ID for the shrimp, or for this worm, I would appreciate it. This is also from Pit 11. At first I thought it might be part of a Fan Worm, Mazopherusa prinosi. It doesn't appear to have settae and there are some body "segments" visible on one end. But now I'm wondering if it could be something else, possibly Coprinoscolex ellogimus? I can't find clear indication of the typical gut pellets but due to the rough preservation it is possible they are there. Plus Wittry in his book says that "Segmentation often appearing on the fossil specimens is caused by contraction of the skin due to shock of burial". Since there aren't setae present, it would seem to rule out many other possibilities. I'll post 6 pics in the following posts.

295WormT.thumb.jpg.f7d901a26046dcf30ecff4cb655b3202.jpg

I do have a few Coprinoscolex with similar segmentation on one end.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks, @deutscheben! Thanks, @stats

Rich, do you have any thoughts on the shrimp? Or is the preservation too rough? I think it's hard when you can't really make out the individual body segments, so perhaps that one will have to remain as "shrimp" in my notes. Also, I've really enjoyed your Mazon Monday and other posts on the ESCONI website. If you ever see something I post and want to use it in any way (or anything I've posted in the past), just let me know. Chris

4 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Thanks, @deutscheben! Thanks, @stats

Rich, do you have any thoughts on the shrimp? Or is the preservation too rough? I think it's hard when you can't really make out the individual body segments, so perhaps that one will have to remain as "shrimp" in my notes. Also, I've really enjoyed your Mazon Monday and other posts on the ESCONI website. If you ever see something I post and want to use it in any way (or anything I've posted in the past), just let me know. Chris

Can you see any segmentation?  Acanthotelson or maybe Peachocaris?

Cheers,

Rich

On one side I think I can see the line that delineates the carapace, perhaps. It seems to correspond to Peachocaris strongi, about 1/3 of the total length. I think the appendages also seem to correspond to Wittry's picture of Peachocaris, and he notes that "This animal is usually found ghost-like and lying on it's side." So I think that is probably a good guess - thanks, @stats! Chris