Calico Jack

Hi all, I was going through the haul of Amelia Island shark teeth that I collected as a kid, and I found a vertebra that I had forgotten about among the teeth. Its quite small, maybe half a centimeter the long way. I'm pretty sure the thing is roughly Miocene aged along with the rest of the fossils that show up on Amelia beaches (Although my understanding is that they are pulled up through dredging so I could be completely wrong!). Its pretty heavily weathered from the ocean so I'm not expecting a miracle here, but I'd love to learn a bit more about my (re)discovery!

IMG_0876.thumb.JPG.afb0ac6f81b39f1312488f81c5bf3dd8.JPGIMG_3695.thumb.JPG.0da19622602abd55cf404c5bf2fc4bdb.JPGIMG_8946.thumb.JPG.fed4a273c503a9ce1546d5e212c031d5.JPGIMG_7317.thumb.JPG.5ebdbf66bc1af10f98dbe19ba7ad3626.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

Part of a vertebra unsure weather fish or shark

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you guys! For now I guess I'll take the intersection of your answers and call it a shark vertebra!!

See if it looks like, when complete, it was a little oval or rectangular. This would make it ray. If it was a circle, it was shark.

11 hours ago, Peto Lithos said:

See if it looks like, when complete, it was a little oval or rectangular. This would make it ray. If it was a circle, it was shark.

There are oval shark centra, Squatina is one example. Most ray centra are round.

Sorry, my bad. I heard once that that was how to distinguish between the two, and I never really questioned it.

48 minutes ago, Peto Lithos said:

Sorry, my bad. I heard once that that was how to distinguish between the two, and I never really questioned it.

I've seen peer reviewed papers that claimed oval centra come from rays. I don't doubt that this could be true of Cretaceous and older ones but I still haven't seen an oval centrum on a modern ray.