Permian microfossils from Waurika Oklahoma

KOI

Hi folks, we bought a sample of microfossils originated from Waurika, Oklahoma.

It was really fun to search through the little pile and try to ID the pieces.

The result was a short video 

We decided to share it hoping for comments and more interesting info from the knowledgeable audience of this forum.

What's really cool about microfossils is the amount of details and often stunning preservation of tiny pieces.

Does anybody know a microfossil locality in Central California?DSC_0013ed3.thumb.jpg.935fa28e6272ef2022564d2ddcb0d644.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I am doing a Permian micro fossil activity coming up soon with some kids. You will find some cool shark teeth in that mix. I see some Xenacanthid teeth and you might find some spines. I think there are 3 species from Waurika, maybe 4. You should find Arcodus and possibly some Helodus teeth plus some denticles. 

I am originally from Central California and I wish I could help you. I know of zero micro fossils sites that you can collect from legally.

• I found this Informative 1

Try Shark Tooth Hill ( http://sharktoothhillproperty.com/index.htm ). I'm pretty sure you can collect matrix. Of course, you'll have to pay to get in ($40 per person). Many many many years ago you could park on the side of the road (Round Mountain Rd.) and walk in with the more or less blessing of the oil company that owned the property. Anyway, I went a couple of times & brought back matrix which I searched using a window screen & a hose to wash the dirt clods down. I don't have any photos and the stuff I found is in a box somewhere in my bedroom. If I recall, I found small teeth, bones, and interesting bits I couldn't ID.

FYI, it's now the blazing hot time of year so it might be rather unpleasant out there.

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

3 hours ago, JohnBrian said:

FYI, it's now the blazing hot time of year so it might be rather unpleasant out there.

They also close the quarry during the Summer months because of the heat.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

They also close the quarry during the Summer months because of the heat.

The calendar on their index shows Friday & Saturday are open all of June (except Sat, the 8th). In July there is only one opening, Saturday the 6th. Then closed all of August and opening again September 14. Still hot in September though! I've lived here in Bakersfield since late 1971 and still can't stand the heat! lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to everybody who responded. Bakersfield material looks VERY interesting. I wanted to go there for a long time. The valley fever was stopping me, when kids were small. Perhaps, it's time to reconsider. Also, nowadays the quarry licences the land lots to dig. So, perhaps, somebody sells the matrix online.