Finding trilobites in Las Vegas

KOI

Short visit (1-2 hours) to famous locality near Las Vegas.

I wish we would do better home work because some interesting trace fossils were identified only after we watched the video recordings.

Perhaps, our "movie" will help you not to miss them when you will visit this unique place.

It was a family Christmas trip, by the way. Also, if you know the species, please help with ID.

DSC_0906ed1_sm1.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Judging by this image, I would guess fragmentary impression of an Olenellus terminatus of the lower Pioche shale. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice finds, especially the traces and nice compilation video. I remember collecting Olenellids many years ago in nearby SoCal....congrats!

Regards, Chris 

I visited that spot a few years ago when I stopped in Las Vegas on my way back from the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately I walked a little too far and dug in an exposure that produced a number of interesting ichnofossils (similar to yours), but no trilobites. Your report and excellent film has encouraged me to want to go back and give it another try the next time I'm out there. Thank you and best wishes.

8 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I visited that spot a few years ago when I stopped in Las Vegas on my way back from the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately I walked a little too far and dug in an exposure that produced a number of interesting ichnofossils (similar to yours), but no trilobites. Your report and excellent film has encouraged me to want to go back and give it another try the next time I'm out there. Thank you and best wishes.

Ditto for me.

Thanks for replies! I'm new to the forum and just learning how to navigate this massive treasure trove of knowledge but it is so cool to be able to get in touch with people who care about fossils!

Kane: Thanks for helping with ID of the trilobite!

JeffreyP and Nimravis: If you will get there check out the rock we left under the huge tire (5:37 on the video).

• 3 weeks later...