Jay's Prep Blog

DevonianDigger

Unfortunately, it turns out that there is no cephalon, and that there are many broken segments in the thorax. Probably not going to ever get prepped past this point. No reason.

After:

20190601_224206.thumb.jpg.5b02c56a3bd889fa342bf1da0a0a9360.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

This next one is a work in progress, I've been toying with it in between client projects. 

This is a complete hind leg from an Oreodont that I got from Kent Sundell which was collected from the White River Badlands. I received this piece farm fresh.  (The pieces on the bottom of the photo are the leg, the large block at the top is a second, disarticulated ~50% of an Oreodont that I also received.)

Before:

20190430_204437.thumb.jpg.1bcffe9dff7b4653aac03bfdbb894632.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Here are several portions of the leg in various stages of prep. I decided to remove all of the bones from the matrix and am going to do an articulated mount. This was my first mammal prep, and I decided that since it was a fairly common piece, I would give it a try. I did decide to keep a matrix ball in the foot to hold together all of the little nightmare bones.

Prepped and repaired femur. (I am awaiting a different scribe at the end of the month to get the remaining bits out of the nooks and crannies. I didn't want to risk scribe marks.)

20190504_214944.thumb.jpg.870a10b3108d1b9c4444af7489d8a9f7.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

A neat shot down the pes. It's unfortunate that that was where the break was. I guess it made it easier to see where all the bones were, but it also led to some rather sizeable missing bits in the end result. Plaeo putty here we come!

20190505_101333.thumb.jpg.06944b498314c91bd227e83f76a208e9.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

The partial pes and the base of the tibia. The fibula is behind it, I haven't decided yet how I want to work that particular association. I may leave the matrix between the two.

20190505_122448.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Unfortunately those White River fossils are considerably fragile. Always good to have consolidant and glue handy.

Looking forward to a pic of the leg mount once you have it together.

More on the Oreodont later. 

Here's a client job I've been working on for a while in between other jobs, a nice Greenops barberi with some damage, a large semi-prone Eldredgeops rana and a smaller enrolled E. rana. I regrettably didn't take a before photo, so here's a current state photo.

Message_1559183817432.thumb.jpg.19b3e4432825bb7781771725d403be28.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Two Eldredgeops rana, they are on separate pieces even though it doesn't look like it. The darker of the two is from the Windom, and lighter is from the Wanakah.

20190409_194752.thumb.jpg.95c6c1b8115cfea10df8782126a5a738.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Here's another client job from Dig with The Experts. This is a rare Pseudodechanella rowi. The glabella and anterior margin are proving to be a bit of a nightmare. I don't know if it has something to do with the prior existence of soft-tissues, but in this area, especially the Bellacartwrightia sp., Greenops barberi, and the P. rowi, all seem to frequently come with massive deposits of pyrite which makes air abrasion less-than-effective. Now I am back to really tiny hand tools as this little fella is only a little over a cm in length. 

20190524_120333.thumb.jpg.fe01f60a5ded1a0b25da57ae2bc885c4.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA