GuineaPoliceman

Hello.  Is it a branch with leaf-scars and cone scars or a cones?   I hope you will understand me :) 

Late triassic, Russia, Chelyabinsk region. 

шишики.jpg

обратка.jpg

It is not very well preserved. That makes identification more difficult. I'm not an expert on fossils from your area, but I don't see distinguishable features other than the leaves.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Your post/question is very clear!

I agree with Mark that the preservation is not ideal but that is a very nice specimen--not a genus I've seen before. The arrangement and shape do look suggestive--like some frutification as you mentioned. Can you take some additional closeup/very clear photos of those items/possible strobus you circled? Please include a scale/ruler in the photos for size reference. 

I was attempting to locate the article below for possible comparison but I dont have access. Possibly another member has access/a copy or has the expertise and/or can share an illustration/photograph for comparison sake? @piranha @paleoflor

The Fructification of Czekanowskia and Its Allies

ArticleinPhilosophical Transactions of The Royal Society B Biological Sciences 235(628) · September 1951with 9 Reads

TM Harris

Nice find!

Regards, Chris 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:10 PM, GuineaPoliceman said:
On 6/11/2019 at 12:08 PM, GuineaPoliceman said:

Thank you for your answers.

Thanks for the additional great pictures! I'm not an expert but those structures do make me believe they are possible stobili...I've sent a msg looking for an expert--hopefully I can get an answer. 

Regards, Chris 

Hi GuineaPoliceman, @GuineaPoliceman

I got some feedback/info on the photos from one expert to share with you.....It looks like you are correct with your questioning---- those structures dont appear to be branches and do appear to be frutifications....very neat! 

These linear, incomplete leaves could be any of the several genera of the Mesozoic plants, including Czekanowskia, Solenites, Phoenicopsis, Baiera, 

and perhaps other conifer leaves. Based on the preservation, it would be very difficult to pin down to a genus.

Fructification is definitely a good term to use for those parts pointed by that question mark.

I was also able to get some info from TM Harris' 1951 reference on Czekanowskia fruitifications that I mentioned seeing above...not sure it helps but here are several pages...

Here's Figure 1 showing some of the frutifications in that group. 

5d05a68d6d1ce_FrutificationsoftheCzekanowskiagrouppage5TMHarris.jpg.1a855018f7b9297b069febca75bd896b.jpg

Some of the description of the Czekanowskia group and its complexities from that same publication..

5d05a6db67c76_CzekanowskiaGrouppage3TMHarris.jpg.ecade7399cac4af54065efa5cbc9e4f0.jpg

5d05a6dc0ae3f_CzekanowskiaGrouppage4TMHarris.jpg.98f865a82b8997b8913266a9a3678335.jpg

So another question for you...Where did the Czekanowskia ID come from? Would you have any other examples of complete leaves and other stem/branching structures? 

Regards, Chris 

Thank you very much @Plantguy   You are the best of the best.   I think it is Czekanowsky leaves because it does not look like Sphenobareira longifolia, S. angustiloba,  Phoenicopsis  rarinervis  which can be found in Chelyabinsk.   I could be wrong because I am newby.  There are another structures inside the stone. 

шишки сякие.jpg

другая хренька.jpg

On 6/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, GuineaPoliceman said:

Thank you very much @Plantguy   You are the best of the best.   I think it is Czekanowsky leaves because it does not look like Sphenobareira longifolia, S. angustiloba,  Phoenicopsis  rarinervis  which can be found in Chelyabinsk.   I could be wrong because I am newby.  There are another structures inside the stone. 

шишки сякие.jpg

другая хренька.jpg

Glad to help! I take care of tropical plants for a living and do better with recognizing dead extant plants (we sometimes try to make plants grow in locations that should never have a plant in the first place) vs fossil plants so you are probably much more familiar with the forms you have in your area. I agree that new photos have structures that looks like some frutification/strobilus/cone like appearance--very interesting--nice find! Looks like you have a great area to collect in!

Continued hunting success.

Regards, Chris