Florida Miocene bone (posible Pliocene)

Maxsg

So I found this bone in miocene area where I normally hunt for sharks teeth, this was found in a big gravel bed where I was finding turtle shell pieces, dugong bones, a few sharks teeth here and there, part of a big vert that ill post later, as well as many bone parts that I can't identify. However this bone is the most interesting thing I have pulled from this spot. At first I thought it was dugong because that's most of what I find. But then I noticed it was hollow in the shaft of the bone making me question what it could be because as far as I know the only things with hollow bones are birds. Any and all help would be amazing because I am lost. 

Ps: I'm sorry the colors are so blown out. I raised the exposure on the images because the fossil is so dark it was hard to see details in the pictures.

fossil1.jpg.be376d3f060a25bbb4458569e64a8fec.jpgfossil2.jpg.893cc9b7c443d26d6d182f48eddf0239.jpgfossil3.jpg.e47538914410e9e6567d9fb27dbbe662.jpgfossil4.jpg.4f238aace6174836e877f8c474d25708.jpgfossil5.jpg.ac815c047387691b1a59a0c224976a1d.jpgfossil6.jpg.e988b3e97fcc6daad074079912c71d09.jpgfossil7.jpg.cdf3c5f3b1df772ef4263defee3c0c60.jpgfossil8.jpg.ca7a25a33f5bd508e9119870b5cac729.jpgfossil9.jpg.2347b84258ff3da01bdd69e93337af50.jpg

This looks familiar. I know I have seen one like this before, but I don't recall what it is.

Hollow, yes, but the walls are too thick to be avian.
I love the patina!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

15 minutes ago, Maxsg said:

What could it be then. If not avian than what else could have hollow bones?

Now don't beat me up for suggesting this, but bone marrow was/ is considered a delicacy amongst many native peoples.

It may very well have been scavenged for that sweet marrow sometime in the distant past.

Might those be scrape marks?

20190605_164157.png

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Beat you up, why? if that was the cause of the hollow bone that would be amazing. But could it have been human tampering when I found it in an area that has mostly aquatic fossils. Granted I do find mammal teeth very rarely as well as mastadon enamel.

This may not be from Miocene/Pliocene just because it is found in an area with such aged fossils. Many things are discarded or washed in rivers.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 6/6/2019 at 8:15 AM, Auspex said:

Hollow, yes, but the walls are too thick to be avian.
I love the patina!

How about a large ground-dwelling bird?  (I have no idea, as birds aren't my forte, but it does resemble the bird femurs that I'm seeing online--- just a thought)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I'm on the mammal camp for your bone. 

Maybe this topic will help:

Cool find!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 6/8/2019 at 1:53 AM, hemipristis said:

How about a large ground-dwelling bird?  (I have no idea, as birds aren't my forte, but it does resemble the bird femurs that I'm seeing online--- just a thought)

Titanis would be wonderful, but nothing in that species skeleton is a match.

It seems more 'mammaly' to me.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Deer and horse are likely candidates. I went back through my photos looking for this one, but I couldn't find it again.

Yea I went back to that spot a few days ago and I found a few deer teeth. It's likely deer. I wish it were Titanis but I know that finding bones from them are very rare and I couldn't find a proper reference image for Titanis bones.

2 hours ago, Maxsg said:

Yea I went back to that spot a few days ago and I found a few deer teeth. It's likely deer. I wish it were Titanis but I know that finding bones from them are very rare and I couldn't find a proper reference image for Titanis bones.

The T. walleri bones small enough to fit the profile of your specimen have robust shafts. Yours is rather gracile by comparison.

Here is a pedal phalanx (toe bone):

Titanis toe.JPG

Pretty ruggedly built!