Good Day on the Peace River

PODIGGER

The past month on the river has produced a wide variety of finds.  I have been very lucky as a rookie fossil hunter.  It all started with the idea of finding some shark teeth.  Now I can't wait to be surprised by the next thing the river will give up.  The area I have been concentrating on has been producing mammoth tooth fragments on almost every visit.  Today topped it off with what I think is a mammoth spit tooth.  I will post better pictures tomorrow in the ID section. My resident photographer was not available tonight to provide her usual expert photos.  I was so excited by the find I had to post a shot I took just after getting back to the launch site.

20190605_154037_resized_1-2.jpg

20190605_154152_resized_1.jpg

What have we here?

Mammoth tooth 

Horse tooth 

Couple of Megalodon fragments

Two Squalicorax

At least one Hemipristis

Couple of Mako lowers

Some form of mammal molar

The rest are a bit too fuzzy to make out.

We'll have to wait for your regular photographer to return for some clear close up shots. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you for the ID'S caldigger.  The clearer photos should come later today. I was not familiar with Squailicorax and thought of I had two Tiger.  In looking at photos of other Squalicorax I believe I have several more from earlier digs that I previously put in the Tiger pile.

1 hour ago, PODIGGER said:

Thank you for the ID'S caldigger.  The clearer photos should come later today. I was not familiar with Squailicorax and thought of I had two Tiger.  In looking at photos of other Squalicorax I believe I have several more from earlier digs that I previously put in the Tiger pile.

There are no squalicorax in florida. There are no exposed formations older than the eocene in the state and Squalicorax went extinct at the end of the cretaceous. You were right in your initial ID, the tiger shark species is probably Galeocerdo mayumbensis.

20190606_062337.png

You're right, I just briefly scanned the blurry pics and went off general shape.

I'll be quiet now!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

PaleoNoel, Thank you for the clarification.

Caldigger,  Please don't be quiet in the future.  I appreciate you input and the picture is blurry.