Huge oval dinosaur egg

¡Hola! Compré este huevo de dinosaurio de China. El huevo mide 20cm y tiene una forma perfecta.

Quiero prepararlo para resaltar la cáscara de huevo (tiene mucha cáscara de huevo)

¿Qué opinas sobre su identificación y calidad?

Muchas gracias!

Hello! I bought this dinosaur egg from China. The egg measures 20cm and has a perfect shape.

I want to prepare it to highlight the egg shell (it has a lot of eggshell)

What do you think about their identification and quality?

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RFQY9_A2utpgT-jLOOHHlQUsNITqMEGK/view?usp=drivesdk

E72BCFD7-E0D7-4B97-89A1-5496C36C5872.jpeg

257F2FD7-7215-4F46-A335-56DB1B2EA02B.jpeg

FD82C15F-AC5A-4D8C-B6C7-4FA5D05B0EE0.jpeg

B6C1FB16-4214-4DFA-B02E-E37DBF5C0099.jpeg

355A5783-5644-44A2-B827-D4288B8D4CF8.jpeg

It has the appearance and size of eggs associated with Citipati. Unprepped.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Yes, it is real. Appears to be an Elongatoolithus or Macroolithus (Oviraptorid) from the Cretaceous of Nanxiong, Guangdong province. 

• I found this Informative 2

47 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

It has the appearance and size of eggs associated with Citipati. Unprepped.

Thank you so much. Do you think is a nice one? I want to prepare it with sand blaster. So from Oviraptor Citipati?

47 minutes ago, Sinopaleus said:

Yes, it is real. Appears to be an Elongatoolithus or Macroolithus (Oviraptorid) from the Cretaceous of Nanxiong, Guangdong province. 

Thank you so much. It mesures 20cm so posible Macroolithus? Do you think is a good egg?

thank you!

Yes it looks like a real Oviraptorosaur egg. I would say this is likely at the lower end of quality because so much of the original shell seems to be missing. Most of this looks to be the internal cast of the egg. So I wouldn't sandblast those areas if I were you. But sandblasting the remaining shell parts could get you some good results.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you so much for your advice. It has a lot of eggshell, about 85%.

Only these parts are missing:

32A4C5C7-6FF0-45B1-9CA2-653D13A04608.jpeg

497DBFC1-6F32-4D7C-9707-750DB68576DE.jpeg

35788B4E-575D-43BE-A988-5C80020538A9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Raulsaurus said:

Thank you so much for your advice. It has a lot of eggshell, about 85%.

Only these parts are missing:

32A4C5C7-6FF0-45B1-9CA2-653D13A04608.jpeg497DBFC1-6F32-4D7C-9707-750DB68576DE.jpeg35788B4E-575D-43BE-A988-5C80020538A9.jpeg

Oh I must have incorrectly judged that first image. I thought much of it was missing the actual shell. But you seem to be right, there seems to be quite a bit of shell left over. Much better quality than I first thought. It might just become a very nice looking egg with some sandblasting.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

9 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Oh I must have incorrectly judged that first image. I thought much of it was missing the actual shell. But you seem to be right, there seems to be quite a bit of shell left over. Much better quality than I first thought. It might just become a very nice looking egg with some sandblasting.

Do not worry! Hahaha.

Most eggs with the preserved shape only retain the internal cast and very little eggshell. This egg I liked because it is inflated and is not crazed and has most of the shell preserved (only missing small pieces and the large piece at one end) I hope to find a good European preparator with sand blaster to prepare it with iron microblasts.

Thank you so much!

22 hours ago, Raulsaurus said:

Thank you so much. It mesures 20cm so posible Macroolithus? Do you think is a good egg?

thank you!

I would rank the egg a solid B. It's not an A grade specimen, but it is much more likely such fossils are genuine ;) It can be very troublesome to authenticate if the egg is too good to be true. 

This is probably a real egg but needs prep to tell for sure. Typically from pictures we judge an egg on the ornamentation of the shell which is just too hard to make out in these images because of the amount of prep needed. The egg is nicely inflated and has most of its shell. It could be really beautiful if prepped correctly. Please post pictures of the finished product! It also looks consistent with what we commonly call Oviraptor. 

58 minutes ago, Sinopaleus said:

I would rank the egg a solid B. It's not an A grade specimen, but it is much more likely such fossils are genuine ;) It can be very troublesome to authenticate if the egg is too good to be true. 

Thank you for your opinion. Well I do not think quality B is very bad so I am happy :)it is very difficult to find a good egg. Most of the prepared eggs I've seen were restored and crushed. I hope to prepare my egg well

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

This is probably a real egg but needs prep to tell for sure. Typically from pictures we judge an egg on the ornamentation of the shell which is just too hard to make out in these images because of the amount of prep needed. The egg is nicely inflated and has most of its shell. It could be really beautiful if prepped correctly. Please post pictures of the finished product! It also looks consistent with what we commonly call Oviraptor. 

Thank you. I hope it will be a good egg. Now I have to find a good European preparator who can prepare it.
Of course I will show you prepared. :)

On 8/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, RJB said:

Looks really nice.  I also would like to see it after prep.  Good luck

RB

Thank you so much!!! I hope prepare it soon. I think it will be nice.

Maravilloso huevo de dinosaurio!! :D

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

2 hours ago, Ramon said:

Maravilloso huevo de dinosaurio!! :D

Muchas gracias!!! Vaya no soy el único que habla español!