sTamprockcoin

Pyrite & Fossils

sTamprockcoin

Brought home and broke up a small boulder from an area the town used as a rock dump. This is either Marcellus or Harrel/Brallier Shale. Very sparkly. I know that they'll rot eventually but I'll enjoy them in the meantime! I think that the 4th photo shows a trilo bit or maybe another brach.

hash w pyrite.jpg

pyrite and gastropod.jpg

Pyrtic stem1.jpg

unkonwn 1.jpg

Mark Kmiecik

Nice finds. 

Search pyrite disease or pyrite rot both on this forum and online. Lots of info and various methods. I believe most have failed, but you may find something useful.

sTamprockcoin

Thanks Mark, I've read the info & debates. To be honest none of this stuff is worth much if any effort. If the tubular thing turns out to be pyritized poop as Rockwood suggested (in the ID forum) I'll coat it with clear nail polish and see what happens. Most of the time my attitude is what I expressed in my post - enjoy it while I can then move on.

Plax

My experience with paleozoic pyrite older than carboniferous from PA is that it doesn't rot so much as just discolor. On the other hand Cretaceous pyrite or marcasite form Delaware, NJ, NC etc rots in just a couple of decades.