AJ58

Ordovician northeast Arkansas.Found in the same general location.Some show groth lines and a deep cone shaped hole in one end.I am thinking cephalopods or  siphuncles?  

DSC_0046.JPG

7 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Some kind of burrows methinks...

Do burrows have cone shaped holes in the end?

If these weren't Ordovician, I would say belemnite. As it is, could we get some closeups? Especially of the grainy one please.

14 minutes ago, Peto Lithos said:

If these weren't Ordovician, I would say belemnite. As it is, could we get some closeups? Especially of the grainy one please.

This is the best my camera will do.Most of these fossils are grainy.Thanks. 

The one to the right is a cephalopod. The others could be, if those grains are round. If they are spikey or star-shaped, they are sponges.

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Peto Lithos said:

The one to the right is a cephalopod. The others could be, if those grains are round. If they are spikey or star-shaped, they are sponges.

The grains are round.Cephalopod will be good.Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, AJ58 said:

Do burrows have cone shaped holes in the end?

I can tell you that cephalopods do not have grainy/sandy surfaces for sure...

Have a look here: Ophiomorpha sp. (cf. nodosa).

Sponges may be possible, too.

Since we do not have a close-up of the outside from the pieces and no view on lateral to see the kind of "cone shaped holes", it is difficult to tell..

33 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

I can tell you that cephalopods do not have grainy/sandy surfaces for sure...

Have a look here: Ophiomorpha sp. (cf. nodosa).

Sponges may be possible, too.

Since we do not have a close-up of the outside from the pieces and no view on lateral to see the kind of "cone shaped holes", it is difficult to tell..

What about siphuncles?They seem to have the same grainy surface as some that I hive. 

1 hour ago, AJ58 said:

What about siphuncles?They seem to have the same grainy surface as some that I hive. 

A siphuncle passes through the shell, not on the surface. I'm sorry, but I don't see cephalopods. Better pictures are needed

10 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

A siphuncle passes through the shell, not on the surface. I'm sorry, but I don't see cephalopods. Better pictures are needed

Some siphuncles that were ID,ed by TFF.But larger and horn shaped.Same sandy surface

DSC_0004.JPG

the hollow ones could possibly be conical stromatoporoids or sponges. Pix in left is cylindrical stromo. Beatricea sp, the other 2 ars Ord. cephalopods showing siphuncles.

Beatricea 1.JPG

Michelinoceras F -.jpg

O-007-Treptoceras.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The grains could be slightly weathered calcite that formed little ooloids. The one all the way to the left has ridges that seem like a cephalopod to me.

13 hours ago, Natalie81 said:

Exact.

11 hours ago, Herb said:

the hollow ones could possibly be conical stromatoporoids or sponges. Pix in left is cylindrical stromo. Beatricea sp, the other 2 ars Ord. cephalopods showing siphuncles.

Beatricea 1.JPG

Michelinoceras F -.jpg

O-007-Treptoceras.jpg

Exact.

this is the most complete one.I hope the pictures are better.I am thinking Sponge but have some questions.Do sponges have a cone shaped hole?And the grainy makeup is similar to the Brevicones-Siphuicles that I have pictured above.Thanks.

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG