Hell Creek South Dakota

leftoversalmon

Found this bone in Perkins Co South Dakota, Hell Creek formation, weathering out of a hill top. Sorry about tape measure for size reference, it's all I had. I believe the piece is a fibula but I'm not sure on much else. That's why I'm here.

Cross section immediately after finding it. This would be the final break towards the skinnier end of the piece.

IMG_6247.thumb.JPG.28c8eed57a8c25bf645ee3a7d25f205b.JPG

Cross section of the last break towards the larger end.

IMG_6267.thumb.JPG.96d8fb7c65ba13c4cae4cb36941848ab.JPG

Assembled and mostly cleaned

IMG_6273.thumb.JPG.547397de8fe135500629a95f6d0ed170.JPG

IMG_6274.thumb.JPG.3e5d8db4d5d26cc192c36a74c6dc8156.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

IMG_6275.thumb.JPG.15bc1aee8daf7fce50b8af140841d732.JPG

I have cleaned more of the clay off this piece. Don't have an updated picture currently.

IMG_6276.thumb.JPG.a50ddf90aec96ee041cd3c8ef09e9401.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nothing at all wrong about using a tape measure.

Certainly beats a coin, ballpoint pen, cigarette, a hand, shoe or anything else that varies in size. :thumbsu:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

20 minutes ago, jpc said:

I'm leaning more toward ischium.  

Just to provide more into, the photos don't capture it so well but there is a slight twist as well as a very slight bow in the bone. The bow is in the middle with both ends of the smooth side being the high points.

With what you have said and the photographs I would lean towards sub adult ischium of edmontosaurus. Just to note I'm not the biggest expert on dinosaur material outside of Morocco due to the lack of hands on experience.

Thanks Matt

56 minutes ago, Haravex said:

With what you have said and the photographs I would lean towards sub adult ischium of edmontosaurus. Just to note I'm not the biggest expert on dinosaur material outside of Morocco due to the lack of hands on experience.

Thanks Matt

Awesome. Well, thank you both Haravex and jpc.

Looks like I was wrong and I've got a hunk of pelvis. I did pour over Edmontosaur pictures on google images trying to pick out a bone that looks similar, knowing full well the bone probably belonged to one. However, there aren't many  shots of that part of their anatomy, and even if there were it'd be tough to pick that bone out of the mix. Now that I've googled Edmontosaur Ischium it does look very plausible.

Glad I can help like I say maybe wait for the more experienced hell creek collectors to give a second opinion but I feel decently confident about it.

• I found this Informative 1

I dunno, that bump along the edge is pretty weird. It's hard to tell from the photos but does that bump look abnormal at all? Or does it just look like a normal muscle attachment? I don't really see that fitting with Edmontosaur ischium.

Edmontosaurus hips for reference.

Edmontosaurus_pelvis_left.thumb.jpg.0899e00d47da21a04f909f67efba01c8.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I dunno, that bump along the edge is pretty weird. It's hard to tell from the photos but does that bump look abnormal at all? Or does it just look like a normal muscle attachment? I don't really see that fitting with Edmontosaur ischium.

Edmontosaurus hips for reference.

Edmontosaurus_pelvis_left.thumb.jpg.0899e00d47da21a04f909f67efba01c8.jpg

I can snap and post a better picture of the bump in about 40 minutes. It does look abnormal to me in that it's a bump that I can't explain and seems out of place, but it's certainly part of it. As far as whether or not it's a normal muscle attachment I don't know, I'm a little new at this game. It doesn't look like a muscle attachment if I were to compare it to say a deer, elk, or another animal I've deboned (probably an apples to oranges comparison). If you look closely at the 4th picture you can see there is a small channel in the bone right where that bump is. I don't know if that helps.

The one bump looks fairly natural to me. I'm leaning less and less towards this being ischium.

That bumpy surface on the one long side looks like a suture to me. It reminds me most of a long nasal bone, but again the big bump is weird. Maybe a weird Edmontosaur nasal with a weird bump on it's nose?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

The one bump looks fairly natural to me. I'm leaning less and less towards this being ischium.

That bumpy surface on the one long side looks like a suture to me. It reminds me most of a long nasal bone, but again the big bump is weird. Maybe a weird Edmontosaur nasal with a weird bump on it's nose?

The opposing textures on the sides has me puzzled too. I had to abandon cleaning the rough side simply out of fear of doing more harm than good. The matrix doesn’t cleaning break away from the bone on that side. 

The bump seems almost pathological.  I am sticking with ischium.  I will say this is more of an educated guess than a statement of fact.  

Ummmm. I don’t know if this will help or hinder the discussion... I’ve seen growths similar to that on modern bones when something like an arrow bullet or tooth damaged the bone and remained in the wound channel without killing the animal. The bone starts healing and growing around the object. Maybe something along those lines happened here and the object came out after decay or after fossilation?