sTamprockcoin

Yesterday I broke up a small boulder from an area my town filled in with rock from a nearby road project. I believe that this is Marcellus or Harrell/Brailer Shale. The item pictured is about 2 inches long and completely filled with very pretty little pyrite cubes.  Can anyone tell is this an in filled worm burrow or a a filled Crinoid stem? Both things were in other parts of the same boulder.  The item in the third photo i cant decide if its a "brach" or a "trilo-bit"? Anyone want to hazzard a guess.

Pyritic stem 2.jpg

Pyrtic stem1.jpg

unkonwn 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

3 hours ago, sTamprockcoin said:

The item in the third photo i cant decide if its a "brach" or a "trilo-bit"? Anyone want to hazzard a guess.

unkonwn 1.jpg

This is a pygidium of a sub-adult: Dipleura dekayi

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Honestly looks like a bryozoan to me, especially seeing how the bottom of it ends abruptly and really just the general morphology. Don't see any places that would suggest columnals on it to be a stem. I honestly was having trouble with the third photo as I couldn't tell whether it was a brachiopod, pygidium or partial cephalon of a trilobite. Thanks @piranha!

Cool, thanks I hadn't thought about bryozoan.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

In this context I think pyritized poop should be considered. The configuration could be seen as burrow fill as easily though I suppose. 

Pyritized Poop sounds painful - too much iron in the diet?! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!) Hmmm I'll have to set this one aside until my local mineral society starts its meetings in the fall and I can show to some local experts.

• I found this Informative 2

On 6/8/2019 at 9:49 AM, Rockwood said:

In this context I think pyritized poop should be considered. The configuration could be seen as burrow fill as easily though I suppose. 

I love that you considered poop pyrite as a possibility! Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine whether "poo'ls gold" has fecal origins. In this instance, IMHO, I say it is more likely evidence of burrowing. :D

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I love that you considered poop pyrite as a possibility! Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine whether "poo'ls gold" has fecal origins. In this instance, IMHO, I say it is more likely evidence of burrowing. :D

I have to confess a bias on this one. A small flock of Canadian geese thoroughly  fertilize the lawn each spring. :)

Have they left you any (fool's) golden eggs?

Thanks I shall label this as a pryitized burrow! 

54 minutes ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Have they left you any (fool's) golden eggs?

No, but I'm sure what they do leave, were it pyritized, would look just like this. ;)

On 6/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, GeschWhat said:

Agreed!