June Fishing Trip

RJB

Well, it’s nice to be home where summertime weather makes sense and the air is thick and humid! We did find out that we were only minutes ahead of a tornado in Denver as we drove through Saturday night!

I have not unpacked the smaller stuff, but it appears we made the 1,200 mile drive with only one broken fish. I find that to be amazing given the state of some of our roads.

In this pic, I have unloaded all the fish slabs into the lab. The table on the left is full of fish, the floor below the table is full, they are stacked in front of my blast cabinet, and the black contico box is full of fish as well!

8418FE2B-C001-46F2-AEE5-27A7F93E32AD.thumb.jpeg.1b4155891c42f982c5b054120194e359.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Wow! What an adventure and great memories made!  :wub:  

Thanks @RJB  and @Ptychodus04 for the awesome report and pictures.  :) 

Looking forward to the fish prepping!   :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Well, @Ptychodus04 hasnt said yet, but I am sure he will never ever go fossil hunting with me again!!!    Wind rain and snow with destroyed camp!  Who knows how many bruises and sore mussles?  Now his brand spankin new prep shop has been turned into a storage unit full of rocks!   He just got home from 2 long days of driving so im sure he's too tired to cuss me out.  :)   But really, Kris is one heck of a good guy.  Got some good kids too.  Had a ton of fun and just watching these guys was intertaining too. 

RB

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

Well, @Ptychodus04 hasnt said yet, but I am sure he will never ever go fossil hunting with me again!!!    Wind rain and snow with destroyed camp!  Who knows how many bruises and sore mussles?  Now his brand spankin new prep shop has been turned into a storage unit full of rocks!   He just got home from 2 long days of driving so im sure he's too tired to cuss me out.  :)   But really, Kris is one heck of a good guy.  Got some good kids too.  Had a ton of fun and just watching these guys was intertaining too. 

RB

I would go fossil collecting with you tomorrow if I could. We had an amazing time! Man, I have a lot of prepping to do now. Even more considering the crabs and ammonites you gave me. Have you split all your smoker wood yet? :P It was great digging in a different environment. It took me a while to get over the fact that you wreck a hundred fish while digging. That was weird. We kept saying that anywhere else we dig, finding part of a fish would make our day (as we tossed aside every fish that wasn't perfect).

Saturday night, the shower in our hotel looked like it had witnessed a mudslide it was so dirty from us! My right index finger is sore from cracking it a couple dozen times with the hammer but that's about the extent of my damage. Not bad at all. My boys really enjoyed sitting with you Wednesday afternoon and shooting the bull and we devoured your watermelon right before the insane winds started up Friday evening. Also, it was a huge blessing to have your extra firewood. It was a lifesaver (literally) Saturday morning as we packed up our wrecked camp in 34 degrees and snow.

It was nice getting to know the Bushell boys as well. You've done well with your boys. Periodically throughout Thursday and Friday, I would hear Coleton's catch phrases being called out around the quarry in his honor. "Good job guys!" :default_rofl:

The oddest thing of the trip is that I made it home without the license plate on my trailer. I wonder where it fell off? The entire bracket is gone.

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, what an awesome trip.  I'm looking forward to all the Green River prep threads you two are going to be posting.

And wow, that croc is an amazing find, very cool to be a part of that!  

@RJB my split fish days are over! @Ptychodus04, you, and I need to do this! Please let me know when you decide to head back out there! :envy:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@RJB my split fish days are over! @Ptychodus04, you, and I need to do this! Please let me know when you decide to head back out there! :envy:

I hope to head back up there next summer. I’ll have a kid graduating that year so timing might be harder.

14 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I hope to head back up there next summer. I’ll have a kid graduating that year so timing might be harder.

Kris, please let me know! I'd love to come out.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

@Auspex will like this one. The last find of the trip. I was splitting a slab of 18” layer material down that had a decent Knightia in it and this is what was on the other side.

5347F3BB-FFFB-4C9B-B0D3-ABD3B662D5BA.thumb.jpeg.a4bb7c0dafcb228d5aa9cbe63f242d4f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice dark one.:wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 hours ago, jpc said:

Nice feather.  I imagine the quarry owners kept the croc.  That is an excellent fossil. 

Yep. The share dig deal was we get to keep 50% of what we find (rare specimens excluded). The quarry keeps all rare finds and the other 50%. After the croc, they didn’t take their 50%. I thought that was very generous since that wasn’t the deal going in.

14 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yep. The share dig deal was we get to keep 50% of what we find (rare specimens excluded). The quarry keeps all rare finds and the other 50%. After the croc, they didn’t take their 50%. I thought that was very generous since that wasn’t the deal going in.

Fair nuf.  Great find.  

Well your find certainly got me screaming too!  I feel the electricity just weeks later and at a lower elevation. What a find of a life time.

Wow! 

What an excellent trip report. 

And the crocodile! 

I would have fainted, i think. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Beautiful plant, feather, and fish!

And that crocodile is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on a wonderful trip!

On 6/10/2019 at 4:35 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

The share dig deal was we get to keep 50% of what we find (rare specimens excluded). The quarry keeps all rare finds and the other 50%. After the croc, they didn’t take their 50%. I thought that was very generous since that wasn’t the deal going in.

When we were up the road a ways on our last trip, Coleton found a very nice palm leaf and a 6 food palm flower and the owner  let us keep all the fish that we dug up.  Nice to have quarry owners show their appreciation. 

RB

On 2019-06-09 at 8:02 AM, RuMert said:

Killer find! Fossil of the month?

Fossil of the year, I”d say, when not of the decade for that site. Thanks to that find, you Texans sure did get a good deal! @RJB and @Ptychodus04 It sure is great seeing you guys working things out together!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Fossil of the year, I”d say, when not of the decade for that site. Thanks to that find, you Texans sure did get a good deal! @RJB and @Ptychodus04 It sure is great seeing you guys working things out together!

It was a great trip for sure. Ron and his boys are great people. It was a matter of minutes before we felt like family.

Right before this trip I learned about a layer called the 'Phareodus' layer. Been digging for GRF fish for over 25 years and never heard of this!   I was really really looking forward to digging in that layer.   Supposed to be full of lots of Phare's but most being between 6 and 9 inches, and also some super nice preservation.  But saddly that layer was not ready.   :(    Well, yesterday I heard that they bulldozed for 5 days and now its ready!  Im leaving this comin Friday.  Gunna be a very interesting and very fast trip!  Leaving friday morn at 5 am and leaving sunday night and getting home late but with hopefully a truckload of Phare's!!!   Woooooooop!!!  Woooooooooop!!!      @Ptychodus04

RB

1 minute ago, RJB said:

Right before this trip I learned about a layer called the 'Phareodus' layer. Been digging for GRF fish for over 25 years and never heard of this!   I was really really looking forward to digging in that layer.   Supposed to be full of lots of Phare's but most being between 6 and 9 inches, and also some super nice preservation.  But saddly that layer was not ready.   :(    Well, yesterday I heard that they bulldozed for 5 days and now its ready!  Im leaving this comin Friday.  Gunna be a very interesting and very fast trip!  Leaving friday morn at 5 am and leaving sunday night and getting home late but with hopefully a truckload of Phare's!!!   Woooooooop!!!  Woooooooooop!!!      @Ptychodus04

RB

Ron,

That's AWESOME!!! I'm jealous. Funny thing is that I was about to send you a PM and ask when our next digging trip was going to be. :P