June Fishing Trip

RJB

On 6/17/2019 at 6:51 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

That's AWESOME!!! I'm jealous. Funny thing is that I was about to send you a PM and ask when our next digging trip was going to be.

Hey Kris, its still up in the air, but a buddy of mine and I have discussed a trip to the trilo sites in Utah next year.  

RB

On 6/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

I would go fossil collecting with you tomorrow if I could. We had an amazing time! Man, I have a lot of prepping to do now. Even more considering the crabs and ammonites you gave me. Have you split all your smoker wood yet? :P It was great digging in a different environment. It took me a while to get over the fact that you wreck a hundred fish while digging. That was weird. We kept saying that anywhere else we dig, finding part of a fish would make our day (as we tossed aside every fish that wasn't perfect).

Saturday night, the shower in our hotel looked like it had witnessed a mudslide it was so dirty from us! My right index finger is sore from cracking it a couple dozen times with the hammer but that's about the extent of my damage. Not bad at all. My boys really enjoyed sitting with you Wednesday afternoon and shooting the bull and we devoured your watermelon right before the insane winds started up Friday evening. Also, it was a huge blessing to have your extra firewood. It was a lifesaver (literally) Saturday morning as we packed up our wrecked camp in 34 degrees and snow.

It was nice getting to know the Bushell boys as well. You've done well with your boys. Periodically throughout Thursday and Friday, I would hear Coleton's catch phrases being called out around the quarry in his honor. "Good job guys!" :default_rofl:

The oddest thing of the trip is that I made it home without the license plate on my trailer. I wonder where it fell off? The entire bracket is gone.

Are you going to post a separate thread showing us how you do the prep?  Air scribe? Air abrasion?  With what abrasive?  Can’t wait to learn.  I’ve got some unprepped fish from the 18” layer I picked up at the Tucson Show a couple of years ago and would like to learn from an expert before I do much more on them.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

The oddest thing of the trip is that I made it home without the license plate on my trailer. I wonder where it fell off? The entire bracket is gone.

Someone might have stole it.  Be sure to report it, otherwise you might find yourself getting parking tickets for a trailer with your plate from somewhere you’ve never been.:(

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Are you going to post a separate thread showing us how you do the prep?  Air scribe? Air abrasion?  With what abrasive?  Can’t wait to learn.  I’ve got some unprepped fish from the 18” layer I picked up at the Tucson Show a couple of years ago and would like to learn from an expert before I do much more on them.

I will when I get caught up to the point I can actually start prepping these things. I know Ron started a fish prep thread as well.

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Someone might have stole it.  Be sure to report it, otherwise you might find yourself getting parking tickets for a trailer with your plate from somewhere you’ve never been.:(

The bracket broke off so I don’t think it was stolen per se, but we did report it as lost and are getting a new plate sent to us.

I think I probably ripped it off when I bottomed out the trailer in a massive rut in the road leading up to the quarry proper. Either that or I cracked it then and the hurricane force winds finished the job and some prairie dog is now using it for a centerpiece on his dining room table. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, RJB said:

Leaving friday morn at 5 am and leaving sunday night and getting home late but with hopefully a truckload of Phare's!!!  

What an opportunity! Best of "luck", Ron!

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 3:54 AM, RJB said:

Well, here ya go folks.  My middle son was removing some top layers while youngest son and their friend were removing some bottom cap.  There was this big bump and dip in the rock that Dean had noticed about 4 years earlier.   Dean glasses the rock at night where ever rock has been removed cause you can really see things in the rock.  Once the sun is up its gets tuff to see things unless its very obvious.   It only took him about half second and the screaming, cussing and hollering commenced.  I was in bed in the back of my truck about 10 feet away and got up to take a looksie.  Wow!  To say the least!   Its about 12 feet!!!   Kris may have more pics?

RB

DSCN0042.JPG

DSCN0046.JPG

Is there any hope of getting an update on the croc at some point? I would love to see this thing prepped out. If they wanted it done right, they should have sent the thing home with you!

On 7/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, Fossilis Willis said:

here any hope of getting an update on the croc at some point? I would love to see this thing prepped out. If they wanted it done right, they should have sent the thing home with you!

Ive learned that its covered in plastic still in the quarry.   I believe negotiations are taking place at the moment.

RB