Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ziggycardon

I need some tips & advice on tools for first fossil hunt in Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

Recommended Posts

ziggycardon

Hi everyone! 

 

After the recommendations of @Manticocerasman, @gigantoraptor & @Joeri_R I joined the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology). Today I got my confirmation mail of the membership. :)

 

I have long been wanting to go out on fossil hunts especially in my own region which consist of cretaceous limestone from the Maastrichtian. 

Luckily for me the next fossil excursion planned by the BVP is a trip to the Romontbos quarry in Eben-Emael which is only a 20 - 25 minute drive for me. :)

 

So I did sign up for said excursion but since it's my first ever fossil hunt I want to go prepared and I was wondering if any of you have any tips on what tools and stuff to take with me to the quarry and what tools are best for excavating said limestone. 

 

I already know that a safety helmet, safety gloves and a fluorescent jacket are required and that safety glasses and steeltipped working shoes are recommended.

 

I was also planning on taking enough water to stay hydrated, a backpack and a good strong bag to transport excavated fossils and perhaps some matrix to examine later.

 

And I was planning on purchasing this kit from my regular fossil shop.

prosetfos2.jpg.e2e4af9b04bf816a5ff25c56d07f80e9.jpg

 

Are there any other tools or items that I should bring? 

Or does anyone have some tips for an inexperienced beginner? 

Or is anyone is familiar with the location feel free to share. :)

 

Thank you in advance and I look forward to my first hunt! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gigantoraptor

Nice, looking forward to meet you there.

 

It will be my first time there too, so I am certainly following this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc

Does this quarry have similar rocks and fossils to what you see in the big quarry at Maastricht?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon
51 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Nice, looking forward to meet you there.

 

It will be my first time there too, so I am certainly following this topic.

Same here, look forward to meet some forum members :D

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

Does this quarry have similar rocks and fossils to what you see in the big quarry at Maastricht?

Yes, it are indeed the same rocks and formation as the ENCI quarry in Maastricht.

Both quarries are only 4 or 5 km apart from each other. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc
20 hours ago, ziggycardon said:

Same here, look forward to meet some forum members :D

Yes, it are indeed the same rocks and formation as the ENCI quarry in Maastricht.

Both quarries are only 4 or 5 km apart from each other. :)

 

Is the Belgian quarry open to collecting?  Do you have to be a club member?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon

I did send a mail today to the BVP to ask what kind of tools they do recommend for this excursion.
Ofcourse the Safety gear as I mentioned above is needed but for this quarry they also did recommend to bring a crack hammer and chisel or a geological hammer. They did also recommend a saw to saw the mergel (limestone) into smaller slabs.

And ofcourse a bucket or bag to put the collected material and some wrapping material & seal bags. 

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

Is the Belgian quarry open to collecting?  Do you have to be a club member?  

I don't actually know, I was planning on asking that to the excursion leader, because if it is open for collecting then it might become a regular fossil spot for me since it's so close.

perhaps some of the other members here know? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natalie81
On 9/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, ziggycardon said:

I did send a mail today to the BVP to ask what kind of tools they do recommend for this excursion.
Ofcourse the Safety gear as I mentioned above is needed but for this quarry they also did recommend to bring a crack hammer and chisel or a geological hammer. They did also recommend a saw to saw the mergel (limestone) into smaller slabs.

And ofcourse a bucket or bag to put the collected material and some wrapping material & seal bags. 

I don't actually know, I was planning on asking that to the excursion leader, because if it is open for collecting then it might become a regular fossil spot for me since it's so close.

perhaps some of the other members here know? 

 

Manticocerasman and I will be there too, looking forward to meet you! :)

 

About de quarry, it is not an open quarry, only possible to visit with a club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman

looking forward to see you there Ken :)

 

with the kit that you show you got more than enough tools to get started , I got the same backpack :P

Just make sure you got a few small containers and old papers to wrap and store the finds in jour backpack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon
8 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

looking forward to see you there Ken :)

 

with the kit that you show you got more than enough tools to get started , I got the same backpack :P

Just make sure you got a few small containers and old papers to wrap and store the finds in jour backpack.

Okee, thank you, good to know that that kit suffice! :) 

And yes I was planning on bringing some small boxes to store the fossils in, as well as plenty of seal bags and a roll of kitchen paper :) 

10 hours ago, Natalie81 said:

Manticocerasman and I will be there too, looking forward to meet you! :)

 

About de quarry, it is not an open quarry, only possible to visit with a club. 

I am looking very forward to meet all of you :) 

Did the two of you hunt there before? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natalie81
1 hour ago, ziggycardon said:

Okee, thank you, good to know that that kit suffice! :) 

And yes I was planning on bringing some small boxes to store the fossils in, as well as plenty of seal bags and a roll of kitchen paper :) 

I am looking very forward to meet all of you :) 

Did the two of you hunt there before? 

We go there once a year with the BVP :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon
12 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

We go there once a year with the BVP :) 

Ow awesome! How is it there to hunt, is it easy to find something? 
And what fossils are the most common finds there, I know from the NHM in Maastricht what fauna can be found but since I haven't been on a fossilhunt yet I don't really have an idea what are common finds from there and what not. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
7 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

Ow awesome! How is it there to hunt, is it easy to find something? 
And what fossils are the most common finds there, I know from the NHM in Maastricht what fauna can be found but since I haven't been on a fossilhunt yet I don't really have an idea what are common finds from there and what not. :) 

oysters are realy common, also small pecten and bellemnites, if you are lucky sea urchins and on rare ocasions shark teeth and even marine reptile but they are realy rare.

 

this is what we found last year: 

IMG_20180818_123841.thumb.jpg.943a2614b103c1ef422a396f6d849431.jpgIMG_20180818_102208.thumb.jpg.956e303d8d2a78be1b7d63a8e40fd9e1.jpgIMG_20180824_145344.thumb.jpg.ea6eabeca2c9e5cee225d2739a39d387.jpgIMG_20180818_165505.thumb.jpg.6f51b31d86b4bd3dcd08e0ddca6f85ab.jpgIMG_20180818_101738.thumb.jpg.041ebd49cfd6a9b74faf41aa51054c47.jpgIMG_20180822_085434.thumb.jpg.a4a6ed596ed80c607edd2bff538d965b.jpgIMG_20180818_123725.thumb.jpg.92ce9cdea3e5dbdaeca05ba0d4fff0a6.jpgIMG_20180824_145305.thumb.jpg.53d5226f5a282d52b8a95ef856cd79df.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon
14 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

oysters are realy common, also small pecten and bellemnites, if you are lucky sea urchins and on rare ocasions shark teeth and even marine reptile but they are realy rare.

 

this is what we found last year: 

IMG_20180818_123841.thumb.jpg.943a2614b103c1ef422a396f6d849431.jpgIMG_20180818_102208.thumb.jpg.956e303d8d2a78be1b7d63a8e40fd9e1.jpgIMG_20180824_145344.thumb.jpg.ea6eabeca2c9e5cee225d2739a39d387.jpgIMG_20180818_165505.thumb.jpg.6f51b31d86b4bd3dcd08e0ddca6f85ab.jpgIMG_20180818_101738.thumb.jpg.041ebd49cfd6a9b74faf41aa51054c47.jpgIMG_20180822_085434.thumb.jpg.a4a6ed596ed80c607edd2bff538d965b.jpgIMG_20180818_123725.thumb.jpg.92ce9cdea3e5dbdaeca05ba0d4fff0a6.jpgIMG_20180824_145305.thumb.jpg.53d5226f5a282d52b8a95ef856cd79df.jpg

Okay thank you for sharing, lovely finds! :D 
I do hope to find some cool things, a shark tooth would indeed be a jackpot since I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a marine reptile fossil during my first hunt ;) 
Any tips on good spots to find fossils in the quarry, where I should look out for to find something?
And is there a possibility to collect microfossil matrix or isn't it really worth to search for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
16 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

Okay thank you for sharing, lovely finds! :D 
I do hope to find some cool things, a shark tooth would indeed be a jackpot since I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a marine reptile fossil during my first hunt ;) 
Any tips on good spots to find fossils in the quarry, where I should look out for to find something?
And is there a possibility to collect microfossil matrix or isn't it really worth to search for that?

we 'll show you around :)

 

the matrix should be very good for micro fossils, I ve never search for this, but you can easily take some residu at home to woork through, ther should be plenty of bryozans and such.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon
21 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

we 'll show you around :)

 

the matrix should be very good for micro fossils, I ve never search for this, but you can easily take some residu at home to woork through, ther should be plenty of bryozans and such.

 

Thank you, that would be very nice! :) 
I am already really excited to go!

Okay, Then I'll try and take some matrix to search later, love to go through all that matrix to find microfossils! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×