RB's Fossil Fish Prep Thread !!!

RJB

46 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

What size micro jack do you use? I'm guessing 1 or 2 since you're working under a microscope.

I use a #4. It is powerful enough to remove light matrix quickly but delicate enough to pulverize a sand grain under the scope. I’ll eventually add a #1 or a #2.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaaaalrighty then.   Ive been too busy to do much fossil prep these last 3 weeks or so but finally got around to doing some.   A few weeks ago I ordered a 16 inch lazy susan and screwed that onto a piece of plywood.  I used it for the first time today.  Works FANTASTIC!!!   Turning these bigger slabs this way and that while trying to prep can be a real pain in the you know what!   I also bought a 25 foot air hose and 25 foot electrical cord and moved my air abrasive unit outside.  I dont have the room for a big cabinet in the garage.  Anyways, here is the 'Master' in action.  Not only that im not used to doing prep in the sunshine so im doing this with my sun glassed on.  Im now the coolest prep dude that has EVER LIVED!!!  Ha.  Im sometimes a bit full of myself.  This Mioplosis is not done but the fins are coming out Super Duper.   I was using a mix of mostly bicarb with a little bit of dolo but once the ends of the fins were done I then used a mix of about 50/50 and turned the pressure up to 50 lbs and the media control all the way up and went to town!   When my son first looked at thit he said it was a "piece of $&!@"  Then when he saw how good the fins were coming out he changed his mind.  Ha!!! 

DSCN0210.JPG

DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Wow - just Wow, I love that middle photo, looks like a "fish on the moon" - is that all 3d texture of just a play on the light?

Good to see the master in action. Very nice mio. I dig the idea of a rotating work station. Do you have a way to lock it in place?

14 hours ago, Randyw said:

Looking good and great idea on the lazy Susan!

Thanks

9 hours ago, 6ix said:

Wow - just Wow, I love that middle photo, looks like a "fish on the moon" - is that all 3d texture of just a play on the light?

The light makes it more pronounced but it is very 3-d.

4 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Good to see the master in action. Very nice mio. I dig the idea of a rotating work station. Do you have a way to lock it in place?

I was wondering the same thing but as it turns out, no locking needed. 

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I was wondering the same thing but as it turns out, no locking needed. 

I guess the weight of  those big ol slabs keeps it from moving while you work.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice progress @RJB. Glad to see you’re finally getting some work done in those fishies! :P

I wish I could prep outside right now. I would melt! The slab I’m currently working on is a bit large for my bench and way to big for my cabinet. Once I get the fish roughed out, I’ll cut the slab down a bit.

Holy Mackerel there RB.  That is one cool fish and your prep stand is a cool invention too.  Congrats.

14 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Holy Mackerel there RB.  That is one cool fish and your prep stand is a cool invention too.  Congrats.

Thanks man.  Im going to try and finish it up today but the chair I use for outside kills me!

RB

OK, being that its been either too hot or too rainy I didn't get out to finish this thing till today.   Took me 4 1/2 hours to get it done.   I also had my son trim it down quite a bit.  Im going to be trying a new trick I just learned in order to hang this thing on  the wall without it being framed.  I also did not just any acrylics or stabilizer on this fish.  All natural!!!    Turned out purty dang nice!

RB

Mio001D.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

Yeah it did!

Awesome job, Ron. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Great job, Ron!

16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Yeah it did!

Awesome job, Ron.

Thanks fellas.  I already know that this if going right underneath the Noto im doing next.  Just need time to get them onto the wall.

RB

Very nice! :dinothumb:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks everybody.  I really enjoyed prepping this fossil.   Being my son thought it was a piece of you know what and now has 208 likes on FB.  Gunna look real nice on the wall. 

RB

Ok, I asked about with all the fish quarry guys I know and one of them in a very vague way simply said,  "epoxy".   I was looking for a way to hang a fossil fish slab onto a wall without framing it.   So I bought some 2 part epoxy and this is what I did for that beautiful Mioplosus.   I let it cure for two days.  I litterally tried to lift up one side and it was not going to budge!!!   Now, you have to realize that this rock is NOT split fish material.  2 part epoxy will not work for a slab of rock that is 'powdery',   this slab is a very dense and very hard rock!  Bottom cap.   And still,, my fingers are crossed.

RB

Mio001D.JPG

Mio001E.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, I asked about with all the fish quarry guys I know and one of them in a very vague way simply said,  "epoxy".   I was looking for a way to hang a fossil fish slab onto a wall without framing it.   So I bought some 2 part epoxy and this is what I did for that beautiful Mioplosus.   I let it cure for two days.  I litterally tried to lift up one side and it was not going to budge!!!   Now, you have to realize that this rock is NOT split fish material.  2 part epoxy will not work for a slab of rock that is 'powdery',   this slab is a very dense and very hard rock!  Bottom cap.   And still,, my fingers are crossed.

:fingerscrossed:

I totally agree. This should not be attempted on split fish or even 18” layer specimens. The matrix is just not hard enough. The bottom cap is like concrete!

This project I started quite awhile ago with gluing it back together and then gluing it onto a board.   The last 2 weeks or so Ive put in about4 or 5 prep sessions and still have a ways to go but its starting to look like something now.  This is Notogoneus from the GRF.  Just a bit over 22 inches.

RB

This is the fish glued back together and im testing out the rock with my air abrasion unit.

Noto1A.JPG.743dea8b9b386ef65fd07d2e07f8d40b.JPG

My testing uncovered the edges of the tail and then I folowed up the backbone and realized I needed to do some ruffing out with my 9100 to save time and media.

Noto1B.JPG.9ab5b3d46a927c4bffb683dfc96668fd.JPG

Most of the ruffing out done and you can see that ive got some rock repair and even a little bit of fish repair.  The actual outline of the fish will be done after most of the air abrasion is done. 

Noto1C.JPG.8c33f7dfdd1e0510893e91c4009087d7.JPG

Fins are tuff!   So I'm doing those first.  For this fish i put the pressure at 20 psi and once I got the very ends as good as I could get them I went back to 50 psi. This is as far as ive got and this is over 20 hours so far. 

Noto1E.JPG.171b24bcbe114b86285b81884d4b4769.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

You got lucky on the bottom ray of that caudal fin! :default_faint:

1 hour ago, RJB said:

this is over 20 hours so far. 

This is a great example of how long a top quality prep takes. Looking really good sir.