RB's Fossil Fish Prep Thread !!!

RJB

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Thank you Tim.  My middle son was saying how its just some stupid old wood and people are crazy for liking it and I was just wasting my moneys.  I showed him a picure of it today and now he says,,,  "Thats freakin Awesome"!   I also told him so. 

RB

It's almost like the fish fossil and frame were made for each other.  ;)  :P 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is a trick that nobody knows about but me.  Helps to be an old hick and to have a wiskey.  When building frames for fish with old type barn wood it helps to have a dinosaur vert at one end to help hold the wood while you are making your marks for 45% angles.  Then simply cut your wood and put together.  Eeezy peeezy.

RB

Marking wood with dino vert holder.

DSCN0488.JPG.7c49ac8577db0135132e04cfd963c458.JPG

Not quite done but you can easily see how its gunna look on the wall. 

DSCN0489.JPG.9d62ebcfe6f2587a99b3344ae8143d66.JPG

A dinosaur vert wood holder?! Do they sell those at the lumber store? :headscratch:

Looks like it’s gonna turn out real nice Ron! 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

40 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

dinosaur vert wood holder?! Do they sell those at the lumber store? :headscratch:

If they do I’m heading for the lumber store!

3 hours ago, RJB said:

it helps to have a dinosaur vert at one end to help hold the wood

Why just a vert? Wouldn't THIS work as well?   5e152880267f8_dinohelp.jpg.2df0fac5c6c8c6eee5e1076951a02196.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

There are huge differences between the grf fish that rjb prepare and the Chinese fish nodules that you are referring to. Most of the fish that rjb works on would be destroyed or seriously damaged by a whack it approach 

8 hours ago, Randyw said:

There are huge differences between the grf fish that rjb prepare and the Chinese fish nodules that you are referring to. Most of the fish that rjb works on would be destroyed or seriously damaged by a whack it approach 

I think these fish break if there's a hammer in the same room. :P

16 hours ago, RJB said:

When building frames for fish with old type barn wood it helps to have a dinosaur vert at one end to help hold the wood while you are making your marks for 45% angles.

No wonder my cuts are always off!!!!

20 hours ago, Randyw said:

yesYouAreright,is there anyway alse to prepare fish nodules?someone mentioned using fire and glacial water,because they are sucessed in preparing ammonite core by using fire and ice。

Screenshot_2020-01-09-10-01-58-919_com.tencent.mm.png

Screenshot_2020-01-09-10-00-42-676_com.tencent.mm.png

Ive been busy making frames for some of my fossil fish and my youngest son brought over one of his to be framed also. Ive already shown people how to use a dinosaur vert to help hold framing material and now I show you this. While working on making frames for fossil fish one can also make use of the fossil fish slab itself. Right now its a bar top. You can tell how classy we are by the use of a tissue paper as a coaster. Ha! 1f642.png:) In a couple of weeks I will take a photo of one of my walls to show just how awesome my fossil room is becoming.

DSCN0493.JPG

Thanks for the life pro tips, Ron. 

Can't wait to see the walls. :) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Can’t wait to see the pictures of the fossil room. I bet it’s spectacular!:popcorn:

im planning on trying the dinosaur vert brace myself. (If I can ever acquire a dinosaur vert!:default_rofl:)

Ok then, all this fossil fish stuff has gotten in the way of my crab preppin!   ive still got to find my plate hangers so I can hang some of my smaller fishes but its starting to look purty dang good!  By this time next year all the walls in this office should be filled with fossils.    You can also tell when youve been married for quite a few years when your wife says, "go ahead" after I told her I might move my bed in here!  Ha!  

RB

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0499.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Love the fossils and the displays.  Great work.  When I told my wife the same thing you did, she said "you may as well, you're almost as old as them now anyway"!!!!!

Amazing looking, Ron.  :wub: 

Looks good Ron. My wife told me I could move into the dog's kennel and she would let him take my place. I'm thinking I would opt for my cot in the study. I did threaten to get rid of the couch she has in there so I had more room for fossils and she vetoed that right away. I'll keep working on her though...

I first looked at the picture and thought “great looking fish” and then I looked at some of the other items in the pictures and realized the size of the fish! :default_faint::envy:
it’s looking great!

Wow dude!  That is one helluva man cave!  They look great and as mentioned, so much bigger than they looked as prepping!

On 1/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, Randyw said:

I first looked at the picture and thought “great looking fish” and then I looked at some of the other items in the pictures and realized the size of the fish! :default_faint:

That’s why some of these preps take 30-40 hours to complete. They are huge and you don’t get that kind of quality prep by rushing either. :P

Today I finally got around to hanging some of my smaller fishes. These ones are being hung with plate hangers. I had to do a little bending to make them fit but that didnt take long. I still have several others that will have french cleats put on with 2 part epoxy and Ive still got to figure out what to do with my little fishes that are in some purty thick rock? Someday I will have all these office walls completely covered with fossil fishes!

RB

DSCN0504.JPG

DSCN0502.JPG

• I found this Informative 3