RB's Fossil Fish Prep Thread !!!

RJB

9 hours ago, RJB said:

Thank you and may I ask, what do you mean by 'paint'?

Yep, what Tim said. I like to paint fish but they're usually too slippery to hold on to. Fossil fish are easier. 

No, all I'm doing is painting pictures of the fish, or at least what I think they might have looked like before they perished. I've only just begun the endeavor, with a few Green River fish. I'm constantly amazed by your awesome prepping skills, including a bit of painted restoration now and then. I just paint pretty pictures on paper.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Here is another almost 4 hours of prep on this slab.  I only worked on the fins!!!  Well, a bit on the belly too.  My neighbor came over today and I showed him the spot on the tail where I still had some rock to take off and told him that it would take me about 2 hours or so.  He simply couldn't belive it!  Imnot kidding when I say its about the size of a pinhead or so, then some glue and this over and over and over again.  Some real time consuming prep.  I had mentioned that I would have this done in aobut 6 more hours, but after this almost 4 more hours I can tell its still gunna take about 6 more hours.  and lots more cussing with these fins!!!  :)

RB

Here is what it looked like before.

Mio003D.JPG.fa6204ebc8710d17afdb9c74e42bc50f.JPG

and here is after almost 4 more hours of very tedious and careful prep with lots and lots and lots of the 'stop and glue' tecnique.

Mio003E.JPG.82950e55a291d73eb548f8fd7ddebbe5.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since ive posted anything and the pressure switch on my compressor went out.  Looks like im going to be out of commision for awhile.  So I thought Id do some 'in the loung chair' work in front of the TV.  I grabbed my small hand tools, some little fishy's, some plate hangers and some copper wire.   Oh, and a drink for courage.  :)   

RB

This is actually my TV tray.  Here I am just getting ready to get some plate hangers re-made for these fish.

DSCN0662.JPG.a46384cab1c009291e1ffb3aaad68c14.JPG

This is actually the wifes TV tray so I can have more room. 

DSCN0664.JPG.c5de4fbfb2969a477339bd3f1a7e8ac7.JPG

I took the springs off the plate hanger and made some longer pieces of copper wire bent in a certain way so it will fit the fish slab. 

DSCN0665.JPG.42755452c558fbc9ccc897f53d6603fc.JPG

Ready to hang.   Ta Daaaaa!!!

DSCN0668.JPG.966efcb9b062996d60b9b6dbe05d5239.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

OOoooo  I've got a wall those would look good on. :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Been awhile since ive posted anything and the pressure switch on my compressor went out.  Looks like im going to be out of commision for awhile.  So I thought Id do some 'in the loung chair' work in front of the TV.  I grabbed my small hand tools, some little fishy's, some plate hangers and some copper wire.   Oh, and a drink for courage.  :)   

Ron,

Just curiosity. How much time invested to prep one of these with your small hand tools? As Always, I appreciate your talents and end results...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Dude - those are beautiful!!!  may that compressor be dead for a while!

17 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Just curiosity. How much time invested to prep one of these with your small hand tools?

Hi Jack.  Each one of these fish is different rock.  Some I used air scribe, some I used my hand pick and on some I used both.  All of these took a different amount of time to prep.  I would guess from 5 or 6 to 20 hours.  It all depends on the preservation of the fish and what kind of rock has to be removed.

RB

On 6/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, Shellseeker said:

Ron,

Just curiosity. How much time invested to prep one of these with your small hand tools? As Always, I appreciate your talents and end results...

If he's anything like me, the answer on all of them is too many!!! :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the tip with the plate hanger and the copper wire, Ron. Usually those plate hangers don't fit quite right.  I'll have to give your technique a try.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, daves64 said:

OOoooo  I've got a wall those would look good on. :D

My wall would be better :)

• 5 months later...

I had to hunt to find this thread again!   Been awhile since ive worked on any Green River fish.

RB

Just finished this frame up the other day.  Notice the 45's on the right hand side and the 90's on the left.  Also take note of the large nail heads still in the old wood.

DSCN0818.JPG.cf9a05a9f1ad723bd24dbfad08ab9c4d.JPG

A close up of one corner.  I love the lichens and get a load of that big nail head still in the wood! 

DSCN0817.JPG.295b876cd77e3106451e7887d301d1e6.JPG

Almost finished.  Still have to put the hanger system on the back and then onto a wall.

DSCN0819.JPG.b3ce160fa122745f79eb115e4a9fffa5.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

That frame is wonderful. The rustic look and the color compliment the fish perfectly.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See