RB's Fossil Fish Prep Thread !!!

RJB

16 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Gunna be a good one by the looks of it despite the bit of repair coming up.

Thanks Roger

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You got lucky on the bottom ray of that caudal fin

Always a very nice thing when the fins come out great! 

RB

Love reading / looking over your posts. Your prep skills are legendary!! Seeing the finished fish makes me want to drive from Alaska just to get a few ;)

14 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Love reading / looking over your posts. Your prep skills are legendary!! Seeing the finished fish makes me want to drive from Alaska just to get a few

Thanks man.  If you've got the moneys go for it.  You could go home with a load of fossil projects. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

This last June I went on a fossil fishing trip and met up with a guy from Texas.    Its hard for me to do anything so when  we got back and after everything was unloaded and put back,  I asked my son to look for a certain object in one of my  kitchen camp totes.  He couldn't find it.   I knew he just gave a half ars look and I knew I would run into before the next trip..  Well today, (going on a Washington trip),  I asked my son to bring me the kitchen totes so i could go through them and check everything out.  Sure enough, there it was.   One of the best gifts ive received for a fossil trip from another fossil hunter!  This thing is absolutely beautiful and Exstreamly sharp!!!   I could shave with this thing.  Its also my favorite style of knife!  Thank you so much my friend.   @Ptychodus04  Its not a fossil but this knife has literally been surrounded by fossil fish snf even was used in camp on that June trip.  Fun times for sure.  Just hope I can go on another fossil trip with The Great Super Duper Kris.  Im sure he has a super hero uniform with GSDK on the front!  :)  

RB

DSCN0225.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the compliment Ron! That was the trip of a lifetime. I’m glad you’re going to get some use of the knife but I wouldn’t advise shaving with it. You might take your pretty little face off. Stick to vegetables or meats with it. :heartylaugh:

Have fun in Washington.

19 hours ago, RJB said:

(going on a Washington trip)

Heading for my neck of the woods huh? Well, maybe not exactly, probably the coastal area, but still... same state. :D Unless it's Washington DC, then... not so much.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:30 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Stick to vegetables or meats with it.

Used this knife just yesterday.  Sliced right through a tomato like butter. 

19 hours ago, daves64 said:

Heading for my neck of the woods huh? Well, maybe not exactly, probably the coastal area,

Yeah, coastal area, but not to do any hunting just visiting freinds and doing some buying and trading. 

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Used this knife just yesterday.  Sliced right through a tomato like butter.

The more you use it on acidic things like tomatoes, it will develop a nice patina over the acid etch it currently has. If you use it to cut through a hot brisket, the blade will develop some really cool temper colors. I think it is due to the heat treating method I used. I did an edge quench so the spine remained softer. I'm thinking this allows the blade to freely temper itself due to the heat of the meat. Either way, it tends to look pretty cool after using it a bit.

Ok, back to my 22 inch Notogoneus.   Its been some rather bad weather lately so Ive not done much on this fish but I did get some work done. 

RB  

Here is a picture of what this looked like a while back.  Take a look at that missing piece of rock and the crack that goes right into the belly of this fish.  Ugh!

Noto1C.JPG.ee325b71f8f2bc110557318dcc93b87f.JPG

I took a piece of rock and shaped it to fit into the empty space and also filled in the crack that goes into the body of the fish.  Still have to 'work' it though.

Noto1F.JPG.5ca59ce337bbbf8897006a7798b0cfe0.JPG

I jumped the gun a bit but I added the z-bar for hanging this onto the wall and I also filled in the space between the slab and the backing.  Still have lots of sanding to do to finish that part up but should look purty good when done.  Also have to finish up the cracks. 

Noto1G.JPG.8a6a6204c53ee74e22f5ade0d2d229e3.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Holy cow Ron, you came back from that last fishing trip with some amazing fishies,  Your amazing prep skill have not decreased as a result of that stroke, just slowed you down some,  Hell we all slow down as we age.

Good day today.  Got some work done on the house and put in some hours on this fish.  Im up to about 26 hours now but even though there is still a ways to go I can see the end of this project.  Then it goes up on the wall.   I'm amazed at just how good this fish is turning out!  It was super fun and exciting to see individual scales seeing daylight for the first time in 51 million years!   Also some of the hardest rock ive ever worked with on Green River Formation fish.  Some of the matrix on and close to the verts is just harder than hard and ive gone through lots of media just in small areas!   This is bottom cap material but even though it takes some serious prep time this fish is really coming out quite nice!!!   And again, my middle son said this fish is a piece of 'crud', he is now quite impressed with it.  and he is hard to impress.  He's starting to realize that his dad may actually know a thing or two?  Ha! 

RB

Ive still got the head to do and all the edges to clean up but by golly its gettin there. 

Noto1H.JPG.0ef6dde0bb26fdd9c6979ae3a748ee3c.JPG

This is the break between the two rocks and its not good but Ive still gots to do a bit of work and acrylics on it to make it kind of disapear?

Noto1I.JPG.aeb2aef7a49c6f713715a96f06b1f95f.JPG

A close up of the tail. Not perfect but a super tuff prep job and it came out purty dang good considering. 

Noto1J.JPG.3e525c4cf01e08fe3c95739aebb1327f.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

• 3 weeks later...

Well, winter came early this year.   Right now we are at the end of a record breaking snow storm!   I dont waist moneys keeping my prep garage warm 24 hours a day so i cannot do any more air abrasion work and sadly this could be the end of my fish prepping till next year?   Im hoping for an indian summer or even a 3 or 4 day chinook to at least get my Noto done?  Wish me luck.  

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Wish me luck.  

Good luck! Hopefully things thaw out long enough to wrap up your Noto. 

Good luck! Glad to hear you made it through the storm ok! Hopefully you’ll get a chance but if you don’t itll give you something to look forward to next year...

In order to get back to preppin I must install a new wire from the house to the garage.  Uuuuuugh!!!    Luckily I have a small Kubota with back hoe.  It still beat me up!

RB

DSCN0293.JPG

DSCN0294.JPG

That looks a lot like work! Glad to see you getting some more reasonable, seasonable weather. We all want to see you get back to prepping, but don't beat yourself up too much.

On 18/07/2019 at 10:59 PM, RJB said:

I did a tad bit of gluing again on those two bigger fish on the picknick table and still have some more to go before I can silicone them to their boards.  Then I went into the garage and started turning everything on.   Switched on the power to the air compressor,,,, check.  Turned on the 2 valves to get all the way over to the air abrasive machine,,, check.  Turned on the radio,,,check.  Turned up the radio volume,,,,check.   Plugged in the power cord for the air abrasive system,,,, check.   Plugged in the light cord for the lights for the air abrasive cabinet,,,,check.   Went back to the house to mix a nice whisky and cola,,,,, check.   Plugged in the industrial shop vac,,,,,check.  Turned on the switch for the industrial shop vac,,, check.   Put in super nice Phareodus slab into the abrasive cabinet,,,,check.   Put in over 6 hours of prep time,,,check.

Ive been working off and on  on this fish for some time now.  It started in 4 pieces. 

choose files... Click to choose files Casey001-A.JPG.a7382a16b10a4fb90e26ad56cba2d1bd.JPG

This is only about an hour or so but got a lot more done before I called it quits.   About 10 more hour or so and this beauty will go to my middle son. 

Casey001I.JPG.0324affb11b43ec53443b11382e10868.JPG

Looks like a quality display piece that! 

• 2 weeks later...

Some major electrical problems and 2 snow storms and today,,,,,,  a high of 70 degrees,,, and no wind.   FINALLY got some outside weather good enough to get the air abrasive work done on this Noto!  I still have to clean up the edges and hopefully do some work on the crack but its almost ready to hang onto the fish wall.

RB

Noto1K.JPG