RB's Fossil Fish Prep Thread !!!

RJB

Wow that fish is a real Bobby dazzler. Stunning prep as expected. Also that knife is so beautiful, I don’t think I have seen any nicer.

@RJB @Ptychodus04 

You both are artisans and I am :envy: .

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, been busy with all the holiday stuff like everyone else but found time today to finish up this little beauty.   I found this one many years ago and started the prep early this year.  Bout time I finished it up.  Actually,  my neighbor has helped me a few times and never asked for any compinsation,,,,,,, So now he gets a rather nice Diplomystus plate.   I just bought a nice frame for it and have to put that together but I know for a fact that he will love this.  A nice little Knightia on top too.  A nice little bonus. 

RB

DSCN0452.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Lucky Friend. :) 

Great job, as always, Ron. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great job, as always, Ron.

I want to thank everyone, but really,  this fish has problems up and out the guzoo!!!    Like most fossils. 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I want to thank everyone, but really,  this fish has problems up and out the guzoo!!!    Like most fossils. 

RB

You’re too critical of your stuff sometimes my friend! Thats a terrific looking piece that anybody would be excited and happy to get!  Up to and including museum quality collectors! :drool::drool::envy:

16 hours ago, Randyw said:

You’re too critical of your stuff sometimes my friend! Thats a terrific looking piece that anybody would be excited and happy to get!  Up to and including museum quality collectors! :drool::drool::envy:

After looking at enough of these fish, it is inevitable that one becomes highly critical of them. I have to remind myself fairly regularly when prepping them that most collectors aren't looking for the perfect specimen. If I don't, I end up prepping part of most fish and tossing them aside due to minor imperfections. I'm working on one now (not mine) where the preservation is super rough. It's a great example of advanced decomposition.

49 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

After looking at enough of these fish, it is inevitable that one becomes highly critical of them. I have to remind myself fairly regularly when prepping them that most collectors aren't looking for the perfect specimen.

Honestly I hope I never get to this point. I love the ooooo factor I get with every fossil I prep. I can’t imagine setting one aside becuase of any imperfection to be honest. Even the ones that look like they’ve gone through a blender! But I realize that not everyone feels the same (sigh). That’s why I started Randy’s house of unloved fossils way back when I first joined LOL! I just get into the story that ever fossil is trying to whisper to me! (That’s why I’m so excited about that care package you’re putting together for me. Who knows what stories the contents will have for me!) I embody the old saying “ one mans trash is another mans treasure!”

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

I hope I never get to this point.

When your prep count numbers in the multiple thousands of specimens you will be there my friend. :P

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

Ooooo pictures please!:popcorn:

I will eventually in my prep thread. I don't want to hijack Ron's thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I and my middle son spent most of the day working on fossil fish.   I was marking them and he was cutting them.  Some were in two pieces and those along with some of the bigger fish were glued onto what I call backer board with either type 2 silicone or elmers.   I now have glued fish everywhere!  Here are some that I will be working on or selling for gas moneys.  We also worked on cleaning up some old barnwood to turn into nice custom frames for some of these fish. 

RB

This Diplo was in two pieces.  Gunna be a 'gas fish' soon.

DSCN0469.JPG.89792ba663b491e98c5a03b8cd66c1a2.JPG

Here are a few glued onto the backer board.  The one on the right has a box of crab concs for weight.

DSCN0470.JPG.0a3e40335ad538399540a95e046ccd6a.JPG

Here is the big Diplo with more crab conc boxes for weight.

DSCN0471.JPG.60169a65581dd29f84a7c9b96ae39c01.JPG

Here is my son cutting off the nails on one side of these old boards leaving the heads on the other side.  Gunna make for some AWESOME fish frames!!!

DSCN0476.JPG.98357cd0da44867b02320723f9fbf2c4.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Wait....what.?.... WHAT? You have enough crab conc that you can just use them for weight! :heartylaugh:
oooo gas money fish! Time to start saving my pennies again! :P

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaalrighty then!!!   I know ive posted a picture of this fish before but not sure where?   Anyways, my youngest son came over today and he helped me make a fish frame out of some old barn wood that I bought just last week.   I had already taken 2 pieces of old ruff cut 2x8's and ripped both sides at 3 inches leaving a middle piece with two fresh cut sides.  It bothered me that I couldn't use it and would have to toss it or use it for fire wood.  Well. like most nights at about 2 in the AM it came to me just what to do!   I had also bought some old fence type boards that were close to 5/8s of an inch.   I put one piece through the table saw and now had material to cover the outside of the frame and some smaller stuff to make an automatic rabit for the inside.  Wa laaaa!!!   I gotta say though,,,, very tuff to make this fame with the wood being bent, warped, twisted and lots of nails.  Look closely on the bottom left and top left and you will see how I saved these very large nails for the frame!!!   Someone out there had better start calling me a Genius, but also send me some moneys so I can buy a bigger hat!  Ha!  :)    Ok, anyways, you can see in this picture how I made 3 runs for this frame making for a very nice and very expensive frame for a slab of rock.  I'm purty dang happy with this!!! 

RB

DSCN0482.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

That frame is awesome, Ron!

Very cool. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

30 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

That frame is awesome, Ron!

Very cool. 

Thank you Tim.  My middle son was saying how its just some stupid old wood and people are crazy for liking it and I was just wasting my moneys.  I showed him a picure of it today and now he says,,,  "Thats freakin Awesome"!   I also told him so. 

RB