Show Us Your Shells!

Frank Menser

Nice Cretaceous Inoceramiids! Is the original shell, or is it mineral stuff?

Not sure, but I think they're mineralized. :unsure:

As said, Coon Creek is Cretaceous, Chipola is early Miocene.

Soooo, are two formations! I thought it was only one!I knew that Neogene was involved! For instance, the earliest Razor Shell appeared during Eocene, and Ecphora somewhere during the Neogene...

I think there is only one Cretaceous pic...

New ones from Fosminer show:

post-62-12561168810198_thumb.jpg

A Tudicla from France Miocene (Burdigalensean)

post-62-12561169089099_thumb.jpg

And a Ficus sp. from same locality (Burdigalensean)

post-62-1256116984412_thumb.jpg

An Cretaceous Hippurites Radiosus with the tap on (very rare preservation of this rudist!), from Spain. This was changed a year ago.

post-62-1256116984412_thumb.jpg

it's amazing how much ficus and hippurites resemble each other. probably sister genusi.

p.s. - i like looking at the structural features of shells and trying to figure out why they exist. like the "ridges" on the tudicla. did those shells need more structural strength for some reason, or what?

and then i also always wonder how things got named. i mean, who came up with the name "whelk"? was it that guy lawrence?

it's amazing how much ficus and hippurites resemble each other. probably sister genusi.

p.s. - i like looking at the structural features of shells and trying to figure out why they exist. like the "ridges" on the tudicla. did those shells need more structural strength for some reason, or what?

and then i also always wonder how things got named. i mean, who came up with the name "whelk"? was it that guy lawrence?

Yes, and their paradoxes... For instance; did you know that there are no Ecphoras in Europe, but there is a very similar Gasteropod named Stenomphalus (range: Oligocene-Miocene; quite rare, with special relevance in Germany), that some authors consider it the ancestor of Ecphora, or even indeed an Ecphora?

And that Ficus and Hippurites had nothing to do except that are inverts?

Another look to my Ficus (mouth area)

post-62-12561338636639_thumb.jpg

Yes, and their paradoxes... For instance; did you know that there are no Ecphoras in Europe, but there is a very similar Gasteropod named Stenomphalus (range: Oligocene-Miocene; quite rare, with special relevance in Germany), that some authors consider it the ancestor of Ecphora, or even indeed an Ecphora?

And that Ficus and Hippurites had nothing to do except that are inverts?

Another look to my Ficus (mouth area)

post-62-12561338636639_thumb.jpg

Hippurites= Bivalve

Ficus=Gasteropod

Hippurites= Bivalve

Ficus=Gasteropod

"Ficus"=post-423-1256136025424_thumb.jpg :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Coon Creek, Chipola Formation and a few other places:

Beautiful photography and shells.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest N.AL.hunter

Soooo, are two formations! I thought it was only one!I knew that Neogene was involved! For instance, the earliest Razor Shell appeared during Eocene, and Ecphora somewhere during the Neogene...

I think there is only one Cretaceous pic...

The first 7 pictures are the cretaceous Coon Creek shells. The next 6 pictures are from the Miocene Chipola formation. Then there is an Ecphora from Calvert Cliffs in matrix. Second from last are a group of stuff from two Florida locations (Hudson Florida and Tampa Florida). The last picture is also of a large shell from the Miocene Chipola formation, it is over 10" long.

Del, Your matrix pieces are absolutely fantastic!! I really love the contrast of the rough matrix and the smooth shells. How hard were they to prep?

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Thanks for reminding that I don't just have DINO stuff

I kind of forgot I even had this stuff and more.

Just don't ask to see Plant material,I have over eight beer flats full

post-310-12561579585559_thumb.jpg

post-310-1256158019118_thumb.jpg

post-310-12561580448443_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Del, Your matrix pieces are absolutely fantastic!! I really love the contrast of the rough matrix and the smooth shells. How hard were they to prep?

They are really easy to prep. The Coon Creek stuff is fragile, very fragile, but with care it is easy to clean up, since the matrix is just hard packed sand (I use Future Liquid Floor Wax to harden the sand and also to coat the shells). The problem with Coon Creek is getting in there to collect (however the same formation is exposed in Mississippi).

The Chipola stuff is also in sand so it is easy to prep, and since the shells are much harder than the Coon Creek ones, you can be "rougher" on them. I have many more types from the Chipola that I'll post later.

The shells from Calvert area, at least where I collected this specimen, are really fragile like the Coon Creek shells. Had to harden the matrix and work very carefully.

"Ficus"=post-423-1256136025424_thumb.jpg :P

Yes! You`ve got it! That`s why is called Ficus=Fig. Just look at the form of the shell...

Is like this shell (both living and fossil):

Glossus Humanus

post-62-12561978572363_thumb.gif

Glossus Humanus= post-62-12561979010871_thumb.jpg Human heart!

"I don't always dig shells......but when I do.....it's Dos..." Sorry just wondering what the most interesting man in the world would say to this thread :P

I really don't dig shells that much but here are a few I've collected from 4 different areas.

"Stay thirsty my friend"

post-1292-125621827011_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Lovely ;) Aporrhais Uttengeriana/Pespelecani? (first post-fourth pic). Are they Miocene?

Aporrhais alata (Aporrhais pes-pelecani var. alata), miocene....

A few common Cretaceous bivalves...

post-420-1256242613808_thumb.jpg

post-420-125624263223_thumb.jpg

post-420-12562426696996_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

MY FAVE

post-1315-12562441351894.jpeg

Edited by Seldom

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Here's a very hard to find 2" rascal from Broward County Fla...

post-1313-12562444666871_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

A few common Cretaceous bivalves...

post-420-1256242613808_thumb.jpg

post-420-125624263223_thumb.jpg

post-420-12562426696996_thumb.jpg

Quality matters...

Beautiful!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

shells-if-i-know, from the gool-dand fromurtion (i think, if i can ever find the scrap of paper i wrote the region on) of northern texas, where all the water flows down and floods here from.

post-488-12562499893849_thumb.jpg

and for 97.8% of ya'll - fine! i don't see you postin' nothing!

Hi boys.. it is MB again !!! :D

As I told you before, I have the luck to have a lot of different levels of age in my town or very close of it.

Here are some nice shells of gastropods from a Thyrrenian fossilized beach, 10 minutes from home :P

They are Strombus bubonius, Cymathium dolliarium and Conus sp.

post-41-12563079693797_thumb.jpg

post-41-12563079926349_thumb.jpg

post-41-12563080121489_thumb.jpg

Some more old gastropodae, for the escargot lovers in our midst...tentaculites from the Hungry Hollow, Ontario site.

gallery_2209_563_121841.jpg

Edited by Bear